Home network crash

Maturin 14:07 01 Mar 2006

I wonder if any of you can help. I use BT Broadband and have done so trouble free for nearly 2 years. Unexpectedly, we have not been able to access the internet from any of the three machines on the home network.

All three machines connect to internet wirelessly via a Belkin modem/router. The home network was OK but...

I have managed to restore internet connectivity on one machine. I discovered the router was communicating with the internet via a different default gateway and DNS. Since my machines are all manually configured (another story) I changd the settings of the first machine to reflect the new ones and hey presto everything works. But, using the same settings on another machine nothing happens. And the home network is no longer available. I am STUMPED (I know I shouted, but it really very frustrating, so forgive me).

Questions: (1) Why is the subnet mask of the WAN 255.0.0.0? Is this significant. (2)How do I restore the home network? (3)Does it matter what IP address each machine of my home network has - 192.168.2.x

Waiting in hope for some help

Maturin

mgmcc 16:45 01 Mar 2006

<<< I have managed to restore internet connectivity on one machine. I discovered the router was communicating with the internet via a different default gateway and DNS >>>

These addresses are allocated dynamically by the ISP to the router and a change in them wouldn't normally have any effect on your "Local Area Network". However, if you have manually assigned the ISP's DNS addresses in your LAN settings (instead of the more usual setting of the router's IP address as the DNS server) then this change will affect your internet access. Is there a particular need to be manually configuring your LAN addresses?

<<< (1) Why is the subnet mask of the WAN 255.0.0.0? Is this significant. >>>

The subnet mask used by the ISP isn't something that you have any control over or something that affects your local network. It's allocated by DHCP along with the IP address, so just ignore it.

<<< (2)How do I restore the home network? (3)Does it matter what IP address each machine of my home network has - 192.168.2.x >>>

The problems with your home network may be due to the IP addresses currently used, or possibly your firewall if the addresses have altered and the new addresses aren't allowed for in the "trusted area" settings. The number in the final octet of the IP address can be anything from 2 to 254 (as the router already uses "1").

Maturin 15:07 03 Mar 2006

Many thanks mgmcc for your answers. The network does now work, but only if the Desktop PC is wired to the router. It seems my problem is due to some fault/conflict with the PCI wireless card in the Desktop PC. The laptops are happily connected wirelessly.

Maturin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?