Home Network Connection

Martlet 18:27 14 Dec 2003

Following the suggestion from InZaNE_mOdS (see below) I aam starting this as a new discussion.

I have just tried to connect with a new PCI network card in an older machine, and the RJ45 10/100 interface on a new mobo. The older machine states 'Local Area Connection. A Cable is unplugged' and will not connect. The newer machine shows the Network adaptor in Control Panel, and states that it is working correctly. I have connected a Cat5 Patch cable between the computers but am still having no success in connecting them together. Uninstalling and re-installing had no success. Any suggestions?

InZaNE_mOdS Sun, 14.12.03 | 18:05
Martlet you should open your own thread, but the cable you are using. Is it a crossover or straightthrough.

Martlet Sun, 14.12.03 | 18:09
As far as I can tell it is a straight-through. The package states 'Networking Cable, Ethernet Cable, RJ45, Male/Male'

Daveboy 18:38 14 Dec 2003

Place the plugs side by side with catch of both to the underside-if the colour/position of the wires is identical you have a straight cable-and you need a crossover.

Martlet 18:51 14 Dec 2003

Thanks Daveboy, It seems I have a do have a straight-through. I will change it for a Crossover.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)