Home Network

jboyd 14:47 24 Aug 2009

I am trying to set up printer and file sharing on a home network and having some problems. I have a Belkin wireless switch/router that is connected to a Vista PC which acts as the Internet gateway and both my other PCs/laptop, running XP, can access the internet OK. However, I cannot set up file and printer sharing for these machines even though they are in the same group as the Vista PC - Workgroup. I have looked on the Microsoft site and run through a couple of KB articles but still the network isn't connecting, file and printer sharing are all enabled but I cannot 'ping' from the Vista PC to the other machines now, but could earlier on in the setup. If anyone can throw any light on this or has any suggestions/expereinces I would be grateful.

crosstrainer 16:54 24 Aug 2009

Setting up wireless networks between vista and xp:

click here

Step by step.

jboyd 12:38 30 Aug 2009

I have been working on this again and managed to connect to all the PCs (or they all appeared in the network map)but I couldn't get to the shared folders on my XP computer - the laptop is OK. I was getting an error about the file and printer sharing (SMB) not being enabled and couldn't find anything that pointed to this error on the KB at Microsoft. Anyway I checked the setting on the laptop against the problem PC (They both run XP) but couldn't see any obvious ones except the 'Allow others to change my files' check box wasn't ticked on the PC. I enabled this and still could not access the shared folders and now the PC has disappeared from the network map. I have also noticed that my Netwrok discovery in Vista is set to custom and cannot be reset to Always on, this may be a setting in the Kaspersky AV installed on the network. So it goes on!

crosstrainer 13:34 30 Aug 2009

It's the names that have changed...:

Try this:

click here

jboyd 20:41 05 Oct 2009

Seems like this has finally sorted itself out. I gave it a few days then triued again and everything is showing up so thanks for all the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017