home network

argus1946 11:01 10 Nov 2008

I have an old dell GX240 desktop running W2000pro connected to an epson printer and a Packard Bell Ipower Laptop running WXP. The desktop is connected to the internet via cable and BT home hub the laptop connects to the hub wirelessly. I would like to be able to access the desktops files and the printer from the laptop, I have been reading wireless networking for dummies and the Bt hub literature and I am thoroughly confused.
I would appreciate some help
Can I build a network from the above?
or should I ditch the dell and get a desktop with WXP?
Is there a better book on how to do it?

brundle 11:12 10 Nov 2008

Plenty to read here, simply and clearly explained. 2000 very similar to XP so you will be able to follow many of the steps outlined for XP.

click here

scotty 11:18 10 Nov 2008

It sounds like you are nearly there. If both computers are connected to the internet through the same router you should be able to see the other pc on the network. You must make at least one folder on each pc a shared folder (in explorer, right click on a folder, select "Properties" then select the "Sharing" tab).

There is a wizard in XP for setting up a network. This will save network settings on a floppy or USB stick to make it easier to transfer settings to other computers on the same network.

argus1946 18:46 10 Nov 2008

have followed advice given, but with no success. My laptop cannot see the desktop only the BT hub my desktop cannot see the laptop.

argus1946 21:04 10 Nov 2008

Thanks for your responses problem solved by naming the laptop as a member of WORKGROUP, this corresponded to WORKGROUP in the W2000 on the desk top, I can now open shared files in each from the other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?