Home Network

NewbyNovice 18:32 30 Jun 2008

Hi,
I am a complete novice to networking and I would appreciate any advice on the following : I have a TalkTalk wireless router which works very well and is wirelessly connected to two laptops (one runs Vista Home Premium and the other Vista Business). The laptops are not connected to each other.
I would like them to be able to share files and also share my printer (Canon Smartbase MP370) which is currently connected via USB to the Vista Home Premium machine. I would like to be able to print wirelessly from the Vista Business machine which is in another room.
I have made an effort to do all this myself via Networking and Sharing but I must be doing something wrong as I am getting nowhere.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

BurrWalnut 19:27 30 Jun 2008

There are two basic operations, firstly put all the computers in the same workgroup then, secondly, choose the folders on each machine that are to be shared. Repeat this on all PCs, use the same workgroup name but, of course, a different computer name for each of your computers.

CREATE WORKGROUP
Add a Vista computer to a workgroup by right-clicking Computer > Properties > Change Settings then change Computer Name and Workgroup Name. Make the computer name meaningful to aid recognition. The computer should reboot.

FOLDER SHARING
To share a folder, right-click it > Share, type 'Everyone' (not the quotes), click Add and set the drop down Permission Level alongside Everyone to either Reader or Co-owner then click Share at the bottom. Two little people should appear on the icons of those that are shared. Alternatively, drag the folders you want to share to the Public folder.

Make sure in Control Panel > Classic View > Network and Sharing Center you have Network Discovery, File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing set to ‘On’ and, if you‘re not using passwords set Password Protected Sharing to ‘Off’, unless you want to set up identical usernames and passwords on all computers in your network. If you have it on, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer.

GENERAL
Windows firewall is normally set to allow file and printer sharing but if you have a third-party firewall make sure file and printer sharing is enabled so that each machine can talk to the other(s).

To see or copy files click the Windows Orb (Start) > Network (My Network Places in XP) and the computers/folders/files should appear. Using Windows Explorer drag them from one PC to the other.

SHARE A PRINTER
On the machine that the printer is connected to, go to Control Panel > Printers, right-click the printer, click Sharing, check ‘Share this printer’. On the other machine(s) go to Control Panel > Printers > Add printer > and follow the wizard. Bear in mind that the printer and the PC that it’s connected to must be switched on, unless you have a ‘proper’ wireless printer/adapter.

BurrWalnut 19:45 30 Jun 2008

Whoops!

Folder sharing above should start off:
To share a folder, click it > Share on the toolbar, type 'Everyone' (not ..........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?