Home network

Pidder 18:25 02 Dec 2005

I hope a simple one for those who know. If one sets up a home wireless network to surf using either a desk top or laptop depending which is most convenient, do both PCs need their own AV and firewall or are both protected by the ones in the main PC?

phono 18:28 02 Dec 2005

Unless you are behind a hardware firewall I would suggest firewall software on all computers on the network.

I have such a setup but still use Zonealarm to keep errant programs in check as I have teenagers at home. ;^)

Smegs 18:32 02 Dec 2005

It depends on your Modem/Network. I'm taking it, you have a Modem router. Or have you set it up, through the main PC, then to the Laptop?? I would say you'd be better off with your own on each PC.

woodchip 18:32 02 Dec 2005

If you are using a Modem Router you do not need to Network, to Connect to the net with any computer on BB

Pidder 18:48 02 Dec 2005

Thanks all. I have not yet set up, just finding out what I need to do. I am on BB with a Speedtouch modem, thought I merely had to connect a wireless gateway between that and the desk top PC. Am I missing something? At present I have EZ antivirus on both PCs.

woodchip 18:51 02 Dec 2005

I dumped My Speed touch and Got a 3Com Wireless Firewall Router Modem to do the job

phono 19:10 02 Dec 2005

"If you are using a Modem Router you do not need to Network, to Connect to the net with any computer on BB"

True, but it seems an awful waste of a modem router.

woodchip 19:14 02 Dec 2005

Not if you just want to site down stairs on Wireless Laptop

woodchip 19:19 02 Dec 2005

While I have been poorly, I have tried setting up Network and beginning to think its more trouble than its worth. 1 XP Desktop 1 98se Desktop 1 XP Wireless Laptop

Pidder 19:54 02 Dec 2005

Thought it would help in the summerhouse during next summer. Your comments incline me to abandon the idea. Now on my laptop downstairs (alone in the house) and no problems with this. Hope you're on the mend.

phono Thanks for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?