home network

malch 20:18 23 Mar 2004

I have a bt home network 1200 on an xp computer.i can get broadband on both computers but i cannot link the 2 together. i have uninstalled & reinstalled several times, run the network wizard etc. the gateway site shows the computers as part of the network but they cannot recognise each other. any ideas?

Forum Editor 20:25 23 Mar 2004

or Ethernet network?

Do both machines run WindowsXP?

Did you give both computers the same workgroup name when you set up the network?

Have you enabled file sharing on the resources that you want to access from one machine to the other?

malch 22:55 23 Mar 2004

sorry, one is xp the other is windows me. it is a wireless connection.both have the same name and file sharing is enabled.

recap 16:15 24 Mar 2004

Each computer must have a unique name.

Disable the XP firewall when setting up the network.

malch 19:52 24 Mar 2004

both have same workgroup name but different own names. have disabled firewall. i have been looking at windows help re wireless networking and it says to look in network connections and click on wireless settings but there is nothing of that description there. is there supposed to be?

woodt 20:42 24 Mar 2004

do you have any software firewalls installed like zonealarm etc

woodt 20:45 24 Mar 2004

also in the start>connect to>show all connections, is there a 'bridge'? if there is delete it.

woodt 20:51 24 Mar 2004

I had lots of problems setting up my home network. Found it best to run the wizard but select my own connections ignoring disconnected items. The wizard assumes you will be using a cable and bridges the wireless card with the lan card which can cause problems. I was also running two different firewalls, Zonealarm on my desktop and F-Secure on my laptop. That was fun? setting that up.

phil 20:52 24 Mar 2004

Have you checked your dial up settings.

It may be set to dial a US area code number rather than a UK one. Obviously it won't find a dial tone then.

This was a common fault until Microsoft realised there was land on the other side of the Atlantic.

phil 20:53 24 Mar 2004

Sorry, somehow this has got into the wrong question.

malch 22:40 24 Mar 2004

i have norton internet security but that was disabled for the install. i had zone alarm on the other computer which i had to remove as it was impossible to install the adapter software even when zone alarm was disabled

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?