Home DVD's will not play on Dell Laptop!

Sammy09 11:07 20 Jan 2009

I have a Samsung DVD-SH875M Recorder/Player. I record programmes onto the HDD, especially films, off the TV so that I can copy them later onto DVD Disc ( DVD-R, which is compatible with Dell)to play later on my Dell Laptop.
Problem is that some of the recordings I can play but others I get nothing! All the discs play as normal on the Samsung but do not play on other players! I finalise all the discs before playing.
On my Laptop I use Windows Media Player and VLC Media Player..neither of them can play some of the recorded DVD-R discs!
Am I doing something wrong?
Any help would be appreciated...my knowledge of Computers isn't brilliant, hence putting this in the Beginners Forum.

Ex plorer 14:10 20 Jan 2009

This any help
click here

Sammy09 10:09 21 Jan 2009

Thanks Ex plorer. I have read the article.
Does it mean that if I record a programme on DVD+RW and it doesn't play in my Dell, I should install the Nero Software so that the Book Type Bitsetter can be altered?

BigCam 00:36 22 Jan 2009

I Sammy
If I remember the Samsung Recorders have 2 options for recording to Dvds
1 is std DVD-video will play on any dvd player once finalised
2 is DVD-VR will only play on the Samsung and a few other models, very few
Make sure you are selecting the DVD Video mode for your recordings in the settings
Hope this helps
BigCam

LAP 17:14 23 Jan 2009

Maybe the problem I had and the outcome might help. I purchased a TV/DVD portal player. I wanted to record off my Samsung DVD-SH875M Recorder/Player so that I could watch TV films in my car. Tried everything got know where with DVD-R discs.

I phoned the makers of my TV/DVD portal player who said it would only play purchased DVD films.

They didn't know what they were talking about!

I tried DVD+RW these worked perfectly. I formatted the disc in the SH875M, then copied the film to it. I did not finalise it. After watching the film I then use the SH875M again to delete the disc and reuse. I also watch these on my desktop computer.

This just might work in your Dell laptop.

'It's good to talk'

Sammy09 10:37 24 Jan 2009

Thanks LAP.
A question? What make of DVD Discs are you using? I have looked on the Internet and there are many references which state that sometimes the make of disc can affect the way it plays on any player!
I am using Maxell DVD-R, 16x Speed SQ.
I would like to try the DVD+RW discs but as yours works OK on a Dell, it would be better to use the make you have.
Could you let me know the make and any other info. please.
Thanks
Sammy

LAP 14:34 24 Jan 2009

I use Verbatim 4x DVD+RW discs. As you say worth a try, please let us know how you get on.

LAP 14:38 24 Jan 2009

I forgot, re the settings on the SH875M I did not alter anything.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:23 24 Jan 2009

Have you tried this... click here it is free and seems to play virtually anything through WMP.

G

Sammy09 13:31 25 Jan 2009

Thanks LAP & GANDALF.
Will try the Download first and if not successful will also try some Verbatim Discs.

LAP. I have altered some of the "Factory Settings" on the SH875M...should I go back to Default?

LAP 14:21 25 Jan 2009

If you are going to get some Verbatim 4x DVD+RW discs, I would suggest try one with your settings, if that does not work restore to default and try again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?