Hole in pcu

Glyn-252301 17:05 28 Nov 2006

I am having problems with puter, all fans going have heard H/D spinning but a dead screen. Have swopped graphic card to no avail. Having consulted the search forum and still no success I examined all parts for signs of scorching and found nothing. Now had a look at the cpu after cleaning grease off I noticed a small round hole on the metaled side near the corner with the placement mark. I do not remember if that hole was there when I built the puter. There are no signs of heat or scorch and the hole is round and clean as a drill hole. I am hopeing that someone will say that it belongs.

Regards to all.

Glyn-252301 17:07 28 Nov 2006

Should have said the pcu is a pent4 478 Socket and 2.6 Htz

ed-0 17:17 28 Nov 2006

Is the hole similar to this one? click here

Glyn-252301 17:35 28 Nov 2006

Thanks ed-0, Funny I missed that during build.
Looks like a new mobo.

Regards & thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:52 28 Nov 2006

Corrupt gaphics driver will cause same problem.

Try booting from an XP CD Rom

Try resetting the CMOS by using clear CMOS jumper or by removing battery for 10 mins.

Glyn-252301 19:44 28 Nov 2006

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\, I Can not even get a post beep. Have reset CMOS.
Totaly dead screen, only thing working is fans and I did hear H/D spin up. There is power to Floppy and dvd writer. When first this problem showed I could get as far as mem. count and ide recognition but only if I put finger pressure on motherboard on the 2 power in plugs.
Not even that now. Wish that the board was OK was very expensive and it is not made anymore.
Chaintech 9CJS Zenith, had most of the features that boards have today. If you have anymore ideas for me I would welcome any help to save the board.

Thanks and regards

Joe R 19:47 28 Nov 2006

youknowim,

if you have to put pressure on the connectors, it could be the power supply that's causing your problems.

Glyn-252301 19:50 28 Nov 2006

Thanks Joe R, I bought a new 600watt psu and no change. I feel that the board must be damaged, but I hope that I am wrong.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?