'Hive' file registry problem

morgueman 14:28 10 Apr 2008

Hello all, i'm at work now and dont have my laptop with me, which is the problem. Its my daughters, a Dell Inspiron 6000, it needs a new battery so she was using it via the main cable, but it fell out and the laptop turned of.
On turning it on again, it got has far has a blue screen saying that a file in the Hive registry was corrupted or missing, etc! Tried all the starting it in safe mode, normally, looked in Bios, but found nothing. Can anyone help please?
It has Windows XP, no boot up disc but i do have a Windows XP Disc from another pc!
Thanks all for any help,
morgueman

johnnyrocker 14:32 10 Apr 2008

system restore?

johnny

recap 14:34 10 Apr 2008

click here

click here

One of those may help?

VoG II 14:37 10 Apr 2008

I don't think System Restore is an option if it won't boot.

You could try click here using your XP disk but note the comment about OEM installations

morgueman 14:49 10 Apr 2008

No, tried the system restore but it just went to the blue screen to! Recap, clicking your first 'click here', found the right problem, last on the list, about not able to load the hile file! Thanks VoG, yours has it to, although i have to admit, looking at what you have to do looks pretty frightening!

skidzy 17:13 10 Apr 2008

An option for you to try;

Try tapping F10 or F11 on startup,this may take you into a recovery/restore partition that will give you three options such as;

1) Restore to factory settings (destructive,all data will be lost)

2) Repair windows without data loss

3) Repair windows saving settings and data.

Maybe slightly different.

Most Dells have a recovery partition and this maybe the best route for you.

It may take a couple of attempts to access the partition.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:21 10 Apr 2008

Restore from recovery console

boot from the XP CD. Start Windows Setup and press R to access the recovery console. Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one.
Now enter the following commands:

CD C:\
CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

morgueman 22:57 10 Apr 2008

Thanks skidzy for the help but the prize goes to Fruit Bat, your advice worked, thanks for all the help from everyone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?