Hitachi 320GB IDE - won't boot under XP

malcolmv24 22:18 01 Jul 2008

I have recently purchased an Hitachi Deskstar 320GB IDE drive which was intended as an upgrade in my PC (a Shuttle SN45G v3). I tried to copy over the old disk to the new disk using Paragon Hard Disk Manager but it failed to boot. I then deleted the partition and re-installed Windows XP onto it from the original MS Windows XP disk. After copying the files the message and re-starting "Error Loading Operating System" appears.

The disk has been checked with the Hitachi Utility and all is OK. Also if connected on the second IDE cable it is recognisable from my old installation of Windows and files can be copied to and from it.

Bios recognises the drive and the full capacity. However on the BIOS startup screen the drive is reported as LRG ATA133 320GB whereas my old drive reports as LBA ATA100 160GB

I have given up trying to copy from my old drive and expect to have to install Windows from scratch - I know it's not a bad idea but I had a recently installed a fully configured and updated partition and I hoped to copy this.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks

MarvintheAndroid 22:45 02 Jul 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone