Hissing static noise when I click the letter 'w' on keyboard

PorkSoda 18:58 03 Apr 2014

My laptop has developed a horrible static noise upon clicking the letter 'w'. It is only the letter w and I can hold it down and it'll release a scratchy static noise will drag out until I let go. So far I've just tried restarting and that didn't do anything. I have headphones but the noise is coming from under what seems to be the the actual letter 'w' key but it could just be anywhere.

Also the laptop is fairly new (about 2 weeks old now) does anyone know a solution? Thanks

BRYNIT 19:04 03 Apr 2014

It could be anything including a short on the keyboard. I would save all files, do a factory reset. If the problem is still there take it back to where you purchased it from.

PorkSoda 19:32 03 Apr 2014

Thanks, the last thing I downloaded was paint.net which was a reliable paint software I've been using for years. I downloaded it shortly before the noise came but I don't think it's linked.

I don't really want to do a factory reset as I've built my laptop up to the way I want it. Would a system restore possibly fix it, if I did it to like a day back?

PorkSoda 19:51 03 Apr 2014

I've just done a system restore to a day back and the problem didn't go and there is still a hissing noise assiociated with the letter w. I really don't know what to do now.

lotvic 20:45 03 Apr 2014

Turn it upside down and give it a gentle shake, you may have a crumb/debris lodged under the key.

PorkSoda 21:41 03 Apr 2014

Thanks, I tried that but nothings happenings. And I don't think it would be as I don't eat around my laptop and this sound is more electrical sounding.

Woolwell 21:55 03 Apr 2014

Warranty claim probably?

rdave13 22:06 03 Apr 2014

I agree with Woolwell. As the noise isn't from the speakers then there is a fault. Contact the seller as this might escalate to a worse failure later on.

PorkSoda 22:54 03 Apr 2014

Okay, thanks everyone. I'm going to contact hp soon and see what they can do for me. I've backed up my important stuff, the noise isn't too bothersome when I'm wearing headphones but my main concern is just if the laptop ever stopped working completely.

rdave13 23:33 03 Apr 2014

Did you buy from HP direct? If not then contact the seller, not HP. Your contract is with the seller who sold you your machine. That is where your warranty lies, not with the manufacturer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires