Hijacked Homepage

billyliv 13:05 04 Jan 2006

A friends homepage has been hijacked with a search page. I have tried a site search with no luck. Where can I get info on removal?. If I try to make MSN the homepage, About blank opens with the search page. (I am aware that unsavoury web sites can cause this). Cheers Bill

martjc 13:13 04 Jan 2006

...either A-squared, Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware. You can find them by entering their names in a search engine. All three provide free copies for personal use and you should then have nil trouble.

Good luck.

johndrew 16:10 04 Jan 2006

...CW Shredder and SysClean. Both are free Shredder was on a recent Advisor coverdisk and SysClean is from TrendMicro.

There is also the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool and the MS AntiSpyWare.

There is other good advice within these Forums.

billyliv 17:37 04 Jan 2006

Thanks martjc & johndrew, I already did the installation of what you suggest and also installed Avast Anti Virus. Actually Avast picked up more spyware than spyware programs did. What I am asking is, How to remove the hijacked homepage?. The hijacked homepage doesn't have a name so I cant go into his registry to remove it. Cheers, Bill

sidecar sid 18:21 04 Jan 2006

If the Pc is infected with about:blank try Adaware away

click here

Instructions for use here

click here

curlylad 20:16 04 Jan 2006

You say that the unwanted homepage does not have a name ? Surely there must be some sort of reference on it as to what or wherew it came from , what does it say in your address bar when this page opens ?

billyliv 09:12 05 Jan 2006

Thanks sidecar sid, That looks like what he needs, I will forward the link. Curlylad, it isn't my m/c that is infected. as previosly said all that shows is 'About blank'. Thanks for your efforts. Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?