Hijacked Email

RegScriv 21:38 13 May 2013

Is there any way of cleaning or removing the hijacker from a hijacked email address that will enable continued use of that email address. Or is the only solution to cancel that email address and take out another one. This would be a real problem for someone who runs a business

Woolwell 22:30 13 May 2013

Changing the password to a difficult one normally gets rid of a hijacker. But ones that purport (spoof) to come from an email address but are from somewhere else, usually a spammer, are more difficult. I have found the Hotmail, yahoo and to a much lesser extent gmail are prone to hijacks. I have 6 email addresses and have not found my domain one (similar to a business) to have been hijacked and have only had a small problem with a gmail one which was quickly sorted by a password change. I have not had any problems with the other but I am careful where I post email addresses. For surveys, etc it is useful to have a throwaway one.

Taff™ 00:44 14 May 2013

I have had 4 BT/Yahoo accounts (Clients, Not mine) hacked within the last 24 hours.

onthelimit1 08:56 14 May 2013

Likewise - see this thread. Problems is, sometimes the facility to reset the password is blocked requiring a call to BT.

RegScriv 09:35 14 May 2013

Ok guys, thanks for your feedback. Changing the password is worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?