hijacked e-mails?

mikel1878 20:32 15 Oct 2004

I have a number of e-mail addresses for different purposes. With one of them (on lycos), I keep getting messages from the Postmaster telling me thefollowing message:
L'antivirus notifica che hai
spedito una E-mail a [email protected], contenente il : W32/[email protected] virus nell'allegato
msg.txt .exe . Oggetto della E-Mail: "Re: Error".
La E-mail e'stata cancellata.

The AntiVirus software has reported that you
sent an E-mail to [email protected], containing the : W32/[email protected] virus in the
msg.txt .exe attachment. The subject of the E-mail was "Re: Error".
The E-mail containing the virus has been quarantined to prevent further damage.

The messages all relate to supposed e-mails that I have sent to Italian addresses. Has somebody hijacked my e-mail address? Why would they do that? I have checked my computer for the virus but always draw a blank. Any advice? Thanks.

VoG II 20:36 15 Oct 2004

Somebody, possibly somebody you know, has an infected machine that is sending out the e-mails using addresses from their address book.

rômanab 20:37 15 Oct 2004

Probably not your pc, more likely someone else who has your email in there address book has got infected and it's spoofing your email address.

mikel1878 20:39 15 Oct 2004

Thanks VoG
So does that mean there is nothing I can do? Is it anything for me to worry about? or do I just put up with it?

VoG II 20:42 15 Oct 2004

There's not a lot you can do about it (you could send a message to all of your contacts saying that you think one of them has the Netsky virus).

Just keep deleting them.

If it is any consolation I sometimes get deluged with similar e-mails at work.

mikel1878 20:43 15 Oct 2004

Thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)