High SVCHOST virtual memory usage?

zeppman 19:05 24 Jul 2007

I have performed a test using the Windows Worm Doors Cleaner v1.4.1 It displayed this message.

Your system seems to be infected by a virus,Your SVCHOST virtual memory usage 28036Ko is beyond usual values.It is strongly advised to check your system with an anti virus up to date and an ant Trojans.

I am not sure If I have unknowing allowed something through my Anti virus AVG free version and Comodo firewall free version.I also have Window Defender installed.Could there be another reason for this.I keep all 3 products updated and scan every week.

mrwoowoo 21:26 24 Jul 2007

Svchost, which is short for "service host", is a core part of the operating system that provides support to many of the required services that are Windows. Mine is at 31245k which is higher than yours and my pc is fast as i have recently reformated.
In task manager >performance,if your cpu usage is showing very high readings at idle then you may have a prob,other than that if your pc is not slow then all should be ok.
If you are still concerned , click here

zeppman 08:56 26 Jul 2007

I have scanned with Regcure (The first time over 600 errors)and every time I get a high amount of empty registry keys which I fix then on the next scan I get a large amount again.I also get File/path References.Could there be a reason for this.

birdface 10:29 26 Jul 2007

If svchost.exe was in capital letters it probably is a Virus.I don't know if it was just your way of highlighting it.

birdface 10:36 26 Jul 2007

I have never used Regcure before so will be intersted to see how you get on,It's not one of those programs that gives you a free scan,and if it finds anything you have to pay to get rid of it,is it.

birdface 10:47 26 Jul 2007

Winaso Optimizer is a great program for cleaning your registry also has a defrag,and makes your computer run a bit faster,click here The trial version only deletes 10 items at a time,But you can run it as often as you like.It probably won't cure your problem ,But one to keep for the future.If you Open Task Manager[right click taskbar and select Task Manager] Processes.Under CPU it tells you what programs are running,System idle process should show about 97% and 3% all the rest.If there is anything else constantly running using a high % let us know what.

zeppman 10:54 26 Jul 2007

It was in capitals in Windows Worm Doors Cleaner message but all svchost in task manager are not.Ive been in task manager and svchost usage is svchost exe (system) 47116 svhost network service 8156 .svchost Local service 4432.I have scanned with all my security progs but I noticed when I used nero to erase a RW disc it took a long time evan though it said 17 mins.I also have Comodo BOclean for malware.

zeppman 11:04 26 Jul 2007

It is 100% usage and I am getting ad from intel popping up when I used Windows Worm Doors Cleaner v1.4.1 not sure If I changed DCOM RPC setting It is enabled at the momment.58 processes running.webplr is only thing using cpu 98% now.

birdface 14:06 26 Jul 2007

Are you running any programs when webplr is using 98% Try Task Manager again when you have nothing running.Unfortunately I am not sure what webplr is,but I an sure someone will put you right.click here this was the only thing that I could find something to do with Web Player.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?