High Definition (HD) & CD/DVD Compatability

Giddygum 12:02 06 Feb 2005

Am aware that HD technology has been around for a while in Japan and USA but soon it is to hit the UK, with Sky broadcasting next year.

Also conscious that different formats are being produced.

I understand that most current TVs (plasma, LCD etc) will be unable to utilise the technology since a dedicated socket is required.

But what about CD/DVD formats ?

Are the current various recorders/rewriters and players also going to be obsolete ?

Since the technology is not new, have manufacturers started to produce products to accomdate this new revolution ?

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

JFT 13:49 06 Feb 2005

HD TV will need to be stored on either Blu Ray Discs
click here or the other competing format HD-DVD click here .

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:55 06 Feb 2005

I saw a demonstartion by Sony a few months ago. Using an LCD TV there were two clips, exactly the same, but one using HDTV and one normal. I couldn't see any difference and I have eyes like a sewer rat.

G

€dstowe 14:28 06 Feb 2005

I saw a Sony demonstration in Brighton last summer. Must be similar to the one GANDALF <|:-)> saw.

Like GANDALF <|:-)>, I use my eyes for a living and, although I could see a small difference between the two systems on a plasma screen, it was nothing special and didn't inspire me to part with any cash to have it. I asked for a demo on a CRT but was met with the excuse that they weren't set up for that, even though there must have been a hundred CRT televisions operating in their extremely expensive exhibition trailer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?