High +12v rail

Pamy 16:12 14 Feb 2009

Hello everyone,
for the last two days my computer has been shutting down and starting up on its own, (up to 8times today). I have looked through the events log but without finding anything. I have installed a program called "Speedfan" to monitor temperatures, fan speeds and voltages, it shows that the +12v is actually 13.01v to 13.4v.
This seems too high to me and may be the cause of the shutdowns and restarts. Is it possible to reduce the voltage via software, or is this a fault with the Power supply?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:22 14 Feb 2009

Fault with power supply

Pamy 16:28 14 Feb 2009

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\, what do you think the max votage should be?

caccy 16:40 14 Feb 2009

Spec for +12V is +11.4V to +12.6V
Check out the specification on "click here"
As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says, Power Su[pply U/S. However check it first using a multimeter just to make sure.

DieSse 16:41 14 Feb 2009

This intel document on PSU design gives guidelines for voltage tolerances.

click here\specs\ATX12V_1_3dg.pdf

The +12 should be ± 5% - up to ± 10% is allowed under full load.

It would indicate that 13.4 is too high. However - it may be worth checking in the BIOS too, as it may be that Speedfan is not entirely correct (not that I have any knowledge that it could be.)

Pamy 16:56 14 Feb 2009

thanks caccy, and DieSse,
DieSse, your link did not work for me. So if the power supply is out of spec. would you agree with me that that is the cause of my problem, or could it be something else?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 14 Feb 2009

Dying PSU would give the symptoms you describe

Pamy 17:03 14 Feb 2009

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\, yes that is what I think but just wanted to get as much confirmation as posible before commiting another wad of pensioner notes to this other oldie.

DieSse 20:27 14 Feb 2009

"....would you agree with me that that is the cause of my problem"

It may be - the circuits which monitor power supply voltage may actually be doing the shutdown.

You should replace it as a first step, anyway.

T0SH 22:29 14 Feb 2009

The 12 volt line on an ATX power supply is only used to supply drive rotation motors and cooling fans neither of which would suffer any particular hardship with the variance indicated

Have you checked in the event viewer to see if that gives any indication of faults occurring at or about the times of your restarts ?

also try turning off "Automatically Restart" in the system properties startup and recovery settings section, doing this will bring up a blue screen error indicating a faulting module which can help with diagnostics

Cheers HC

ton 22:53 14 Feb 2009

I wouldn't take much notice of Speedfan readings.

I just looked at it and it shows one of my 12v lines at 16.8v, and a 5v at 6.85v.

I don't have any problems with the PC so I ignore what Speedfan says.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires