Hiding values in excel spreadsheet

Newuser3477 23:05 20 Mar 2014

Can anyone help me hide values in individual cells in an excel spreadsheet. I have no problems hiding columns, rows and whole work books, but cannot hide data in indiviual cells Thanks

Peter 23:18 20 Mar 2014

Newuser3477,

I'm not sure how to hide the contents of a particular cell using an item chosen of a drop down menu, but if you make the text colour the same as the background colour it will make the text appear to be invisible.

Perhaps someone else more, knowledgeable, will come up with a more correct/technical answer, but in the meantime the above solution may serve your purpose.

Peter.

lotvic 00:09 21 Mar 2014

This works for Excel 2003 click here

If you want to use values without displaying them on the worksheet, you can hide them. When you hide a value in a cell, the cell appears blank. The formula bar, however, still contains the value.

Select the cell or range of cells that contains values that you want to hide or values that are hidden.

On the Format menu, click Cells.

On the Number tab, do one of the following:

To hide all values, click Custom in the Category list, select the existing codes in the Type box, and then type ;;; (three semicolons) in the Type box. (the existing code in Type box is replaced by ;;;)

Important The selected cells appear blank on the worksheet, but a value appears in the formula bar if you click one of the cells.

To display hidden values, click General in the Category list to apply the default number format, or click the appropriate date, time, or number format.

Newuser3477 19:16 21 Mar 2014

Many thanks for help Peter

Peter 00:45 22 Mar 2014

Newuser3477,

No problem, glad to be of service (as the doors in HHGTTG said).

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?