Hide Partition?

johnstott 01:11 31 May 2003

I have a 20gb HDD that is just used as a spare - there are some damaged clusters on it that Norton has repaired. I did wonder whether actually hiding the partition it is on with Partition Magic is a better solution - I know it hides it from the OS but does it then just miss or avoid the hidden partition and therefore have less chance of further damage?

Cheers

John

jazzypop 01:31 31 May 2003

If the clusters are repaired, all should be well, and you should be able to use the drive without any problems.

If you know the location of the clusters, it is possible to resize the partition(s) with Partition Magic, so that repaired clusters do not fall within an active partition (they are in the Free Space area).

johnstott 01:45 31 May 2003

I suppose when I say repair I mean on-going - It can take quite some time scanning the HDD that I end up having to cancel - therefore some are repaired but some still there. I do know the whereabouts of the bad ones so maybe a partition adjustment would solve the issue?

Cheers

John

keith-236785 04:06 31 May 2003

i did as you have suggested with a hard drive but i found that it was actually on its way out and more clusters were becoming damaged over a period of time, i think it is time you purchased a new drive before the one you have goes belly up and you lose any data you have. You can partition off the last "10% or whatever" of the drive and still have a workable drive with partition magic but as i said earlier, get a new drive and install it as master with your old drive as slave, then copy any files you want to save to your new drive. the ild drive could be used as a second drive but i wouldnt use it for important stuff.

good luck.........

johnstott 18:11 31 May 2003

Paperman27

I currently use the drive as a slave so no real problem with all the important stuff on the master. My proplem can arise on the odd occasion when just copying stuff temporarily to it and it hits a bad section and the PC can hang. I do tend to use it for transfering data (my daughters music files typically) from one pc to another with a USB IDE adapter I have. I thought the partition option worth a try and interesting to see if it improves stability so to speak.

Cheers

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?