Hidden temporary files

offal 21:49 04 Mar 2004

I am running XP. Is it possible to change the attributes of .tmp files so that they show in windows explorer without having to show all hidden files? It is a pain having to change the explorer view every time I want to delete the remnants of Word documents which have become more permanent than temporary. Thanks, Rob

JohnC123 22:24 04 Mar 2004

I just read the posting regarding temp files so i did a search for them using *.tmp -- There are hundreds of them going back to 2001 - is it safe to delete them all ?
Thanks in advance
John

hugh-265156 00:36 05 Mar 2004

try something like cleanup click here very safe to use on default standard settings and will dig out more than windows own cleanup routine.

hugh-265156 00:38 05 Mar 2004

spybot search and destroy if set to remove usage tracks in its options also does a good job as well as removing nasties click here

offal 16:06 05 Mar 2004

Thanks for these responses, my problem is not that I cannot delete them, but that they do not ordinarily show because XP marks them as hidden files by default. they onlt show if searched for as by JohnC123 above. I would like to change the default so that .tmp files are not hidden. Any ideas anyone? - JohnC123 - I have been told that .tmp files over a week old can be deleted safely.

anon1 16:11 05 Mar 2004

John, yes you can get rid of them. Offal I am afraid you will have to show all file extensions but why is that a problem. It is better to show all file types so that you can see any possible nasties before they become nasty. If it is a case of not letting other users see the file extensions then you would be better off setting different users and privaledges

offal 17:46 05 Mar 2004

Anon 1.
I suppose you have a point, I could set to show all files. Just about clutter really... there seem to be hundreds of system files I don't need to see. Thank you all.

Kinder Scout 18:22 05 Mar 2004

click here Freeware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone