hidden files after wndws xp home reload

Flixbert 16:48 19 Nov 2008

many thanks for help re:last problem..........
I have been able to follow advice & been able to reload wndws & all seems to work fine.
However all my previous software & files are now hidden. I imagine this means it's partitioned off from this reload. Local drive C reports 55GB & approx 8GB available which is correct before the reload & means that I have 40GB approx photofiles hidden (as I would expect). With search I can retrieve some of them piece-meal & they are fine......but I wonder if I can somehow reaccess this section of the drive to save me doing endless searches & copying over of files from the old to the partition?

lotvic 20:47 19 Nov 2008

"I have been able to follow advice & been able to reload wndws & all seems to work fine"

What do you mean by 'reload windows'
how did you do it, repair, or what?

as well as your C: drive do you have any other harddrive letters (not the CD rom or DVD) that would indicate a partition on your Harddrive.

Flixbert 16:49 20 Nov 2008

Many thanks for reply.........I followed online pages which led to running CHDSK in 3 stages & said it had repaired certain corrupted files. When I tried to fully boot it asked for the wndws xp cd & it loaded up in approx 40mins....& is working which is the main thing for my needs.
I now have C drive with 55GB of which approx 8GB available & also D drive icon but no size showing. I think I must have inadvertently partitioned my 60GB drive; which I believe would explain why my software is not visible eg: photoshop CS.
My main concern is to revecover as many of my photo files as poss, which are currently hidden, but revealed in searches (advanced to show contents of hidden files & folders).
I think my best course of action is to copy all my files to my main pc (from this problem laptop) & when all photo files safely transferred....
reformat hard drive & reload wndws from scratch (I've been through reload process before); but know I will loose everything ...so must recover photo files before taking this action to format.
So...how do you recommend I can see all the hidden files to copy across to main pc without having to carry out endless individual searches for each photo title?

hiwatt 17:42 20 Nov 2008

Right click on one of your photo's and click on open containing folder.Chances are they'll be in the same folder(hopefully)then just drag them into your main drive or where you want to put them.

lotvic 18:28 20 Nov 2008

Not sure I've quite fully understood the prob. but to show hidden files and folders do this:

rightclick on 'My Computer' > Explore > Tools > Folder Options > View and put green dot in 'Show hidden files and folders
Click on Apply and OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?