hidden files

sinbad1 18:09 31 May 2004

I have a Packard bell computer with xp pre installed,a restore floppy came with the computer.

I have since added a 40gb hard drive to go with the original 120gb drive.

I have formatted the new9 second hand) drive, however i am not able to load windows from this floppy.

Can anyone tell me how to copy these hidden files to my new drive D?,

spikeychris 18:15 31 May 2004

Cant be done. You will have to load another version of XP or multi-boot with another M$ flavour.

sinbad1 18:25 31 May 2004

Thanks for your responce sc I have xp home on the main drive, Does that mean I have to buy a new copy of xp for the other drive? can i load ME or win 98 ?

All i can do at pres is copy files and folders, wanted to have separate systems as backup.

spikeychris 18:35 31 May 2004

sinbad1, because the machine came preinstalled with XP all the cab files are sat on a hidden partition on the drive. This means that you cant copy the installation over, even if you could M$ takes a very dim view of it.

You can however install what you wish to the other drive but you should install the older version first as to not overwrite the boot files....click here

However the great man himself (flecc) came up with a solution that I've looked for but can only find a reference to click here

sinbad1 18:53 31 May 2004

All sounds over my head,;but seems if i try to load ME i would cause problems.

Not having an installation disc is a pain if my hard drive goes on the blink this means I'll have to purchase a new os disc.

Will contact HP regarding this issue.
Thanks for your help.

sinbad1 20:47 01 Jun 2004

%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\ntcmds.chm:

spikeychris 20:57 01 Jun 2004

What ya doin Sin?

sinbad1 21:06 01 Jun 2004

sorry pasted wrong ting.in wrong place.When you said it's not possible to have 2 hard drives with same op sytem you were wrong . the computer ihad before this one had 40gig and 8gig hard drives with Xp on both. Was put on using ins: disc not by me a freind since lost touch so can't help me!!!!!!!!!!!
It ran no probs dual boot, howerver since got new pc.
Must be a way of doing it?

spikeychris 21:10 01 Jun 2004

"When you said it's not possible to have 2 hard drives with same op sytem you were wrong"

Tell me when I said that.??

sinbad1 21:10 01 Jun 2004

did find this may interest you

click here

may give this a go

spikeychris 21:27 01 Jun 2004

Won't work. The tattoo tool is 9X. Just to clarify I never said it's not possible to have 2 hard drives with same op system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017