Hi, need to get broadband in my outhouse

mikeybass 15:30 21 Sep 2009

Hi there, new to the forum, love the magazine, have a question which I require some assistance with.

Right, we currently subscribe to Sky broadband, not the fastest I know but it does enough to keep me and the family relatively happy.

The bundled Sky wireless router is in our kitchen where my wife keeps her PC, this is situated fairly in the middle of our home. The router is connected via a wired connection to her PC, it sends out a signal which is picked up in the frontroom on my sons PS3 and Wii consoles.

So far so good, however, I have recently just built an outhouse which is going to serve as an office for myself. This building is about 20 meters away from the wireless router.

I am worried that the Sky router will not be able to send out a strong enough signal to the outhouse. Is it possible to swap out the old Sky router for a cable one with an N signal, I have read that Sky are very fussy about only using their equipment for their service, is this true?

Also, if we do have to stick with the bundled Sky router and the signal isn't good enough to reach the 20 meters for the outhouse, short of putting in a dedicated phone socket, how can I get broadband out there?

I heard about these things that use your electric current as a way to extend a network, are they are good and more importantly, compatiable with Sky wireless router? The Sky website is a little on technical details.

Long message I know, thanks in advance for any help with this.

Mike

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:41 21 Sep 2009

Can I use HomePlugs between a house and an out-building ?

In most cases the answer is no - this is because the homeplug signal deteriorates through consumer/fuse boxes and in the case above multiple boxes are in use. We have had some customers where it has worked - it maybe worth calling us to discuss your needs.

click here Homeplug FAQs

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:44 21 Sep 2009

Can you run some cat5 ethernet cable out to your outhouse?

Marko797 15:58 21 Sep 2009

I've recently invested in the Devolo 1215 wi-fi extender kit, & must say, I'm impressed. Main PC desktop is upstairs & we use laptops downstairs, but we had a dead spot in the house which was causing a degree of angst and continual loss of connection.

It connects to the router via ethernet cable, then the other end plugs into a homeplug type gizmo, which in turn is plugged into the mains socket.

The 2nd gizmo has a wifi aerial on, and plugs into the mains socket downstairs in the room where we were having problems. It takes seconds to connect up & get running; so easy.

I think the operating radius is c.100-150 yds, so this might be what u need in your out-house.

It's pricey, at £123 from PCW, but well worth it.

The Kestrel 16:03 21 Sep 2009

This what you need for your out-building. They are similar to those suggested by Fruit Bat/\0/\, but much less expensive. I suggest you read the reviews.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:07 21 Sep 2009

Homeplugs don't work if your outhouse is on another consumer unit!

mikeybass 16:42 21 Sep 2009

The out house has it's own ring main on my fusebox under the stairs and it does have it's own consumer unit because I have 6x double sockets out there, so Homeplugs are probably a no go solution.

Would a crude way of getting broadband out there be to take an Ethernet cable from the sky routers 2nd yellow port, bury it in some trunking in the kitchen to hide the cable, take it outside through the wall, put it in some casing and bury it in the soil, upto the out house, more trunking up the outside wall and then drill in and feed the other end inside and put it in a tidy wall socket?

Thanks for all your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:46 21 Sep 2009

Would a crude way...

Yes if you cannot get wireless out there

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 21 Sep 2009

Would a crude way...

Yes if you cannot get wireless out there

some suggestions for boosting wireless click here

mikeybass 17:03 21 Sep 2009

A wireless connection seems unlikely now, as I pretty much cannot use those home plugs. I will look into that kit that Marko suggested but at over £100, that is quite expensive compared to a few lengths of trunking, Ethernet wall socket and a long cat5 cable.

Cheers people.

Chegs ®™ 03:41 22 Sep 2009

It is also possible to get your Sky login details from the Sky router & then setup a better router.I had similar issues with my Sky router & my daughters wireless connection so setup my Netgear router(its got much better wireless range than the Sky device had)I used this page click here to extract my Sky login details & then simply transfered them to my own router.I switched ISP again after Sky decided to turn me off AFTER I paid my bill,and then told me I had to reapply for their ADSL service.I'm now with O2,again using my own router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?