Hi-Fi to PC? Thats not what I want.

  AcidBurn7uk 20:31 02 Jun 2004

What I want to do is rig up my stereo speakers to my PC. The system I have was top notch 5 years ago but now is starting show signs of age (CD's skipping etc!) Since I have NO music on tapes, and have virtually all my music on my hard-drive I want to rig up my speakers to my stereo. I found this article: click here but it only explains connecting via your hi-fi, which I want to take out of the loop. Can anybody tell me what cables I would need (or point me to somewhere that could), and also advise weather or not I would need another soundcard, instead of the onboard dolby 6.1 stereo sound that is built into my MSI board. I would really like to have a reason to keep these speakers (They are monsterous) as they kick out alot of Bass, ideal for all my rock music!

  gudgulf 20:36 02 Jun 2004

The reason you need to connect via a stereo amplifier is that the output from your pc is at line level (2 volts) and this signal needs amplifying to provide the correct feed to your speakers.
Most computer speakers have the amplifier built in,so do not need an external amplifier,

  Gaz 25 20:42 02 Jun 2004

Buy some amplified speakers and plug them right into the 3.5mm jack, normally the green one!

  AcidBurn7uk 20:55 02 Jun 2004

Good idea Gaz, but as I say these speakers are beasts (Especially when there is a party WOW!)

would I then be right it saying that if my speakers have a built it amplifier that it would just be a case of getting the right plugs fitted. The PC runs practically everything. DVD, Music hopefully the T soon aswell). I used to have one of the VCR thing that everybody used to have, remember them lol. This then may sound like a bit of a daft question, but If i do need an amplifier, could I run it through my guitar amp providing it had all the right inputs/outputs?

  gudgulf 21:19 02 Jun 2004

Your monster speakers almost certainly DON'T have built in amplifiers.If they did then you would just need the right connectors.
If your speakers are good quality then I would advise buying a good hifi amplifier and connecting via that.

As for using a guitar amp,given the right connectors it should be possible but you would be looking at mono reproduction,if thet matters to you.

  Gaz 25 21:29 02 Jun 2004

from your PC?

I have these: click here

And they perform very well for my PC, sound much bigger than they look.


Just get 3.5 jack to 3.5 jack audio extension, and then get a 3.5 adaptor to adjust to the correct mic or line in port on the HiFi.

  Gaz 25 21:30 02 Jun 2004

Oh right you dont have the amp for your speakers then, ouch...

Whats the Ohms and wattage?

  AcidBurn7uk 21:31 02 Jun 2004

Yeah mono realy does matter. Thanks for your help. I will check my speakers to see whats what, but as you so they almost certainly don't so I won't hold my breath. It's off to town tomorrow then to see how much I will have to dish out on a amplifier and cables etc.

Thanks for your help. Jay.

  Gaz 25 21:54 02 Jun 2004

Check the wattages, we dont want any explosions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?