Hey little Windows XP question.

sweetzombie 16:52 18 Feb 2006

I hope you guys can bear with me im fairly useless with computers but know the basics.

I recently purchased a new computer and hope to give my old computer to my grandfather. What is the easiest way to wipe all files off the computer leaving the operating system etc. so that it is more or less in the condition it was when i bought it?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated i want to give my PC to my grnadfather but dont liekt he idea of him getting my files. Like i said i am only barely computer literate so if the responses could be jargon free id be very appreciative.

SG Atlantis® 17:06 18 Feb 2006

If you have a windows disk you could format it and re install xp.

If it's a machine that comnes with a restore feature like the brands PCWorld sell. Compaq, emachines, Packard Bell etc You could do a full destructive recovery.

Press what ever it says to enter recovery when you turn the computer on.

NotsoNewuser 17:42 18 Feb 2006

I assume you are talking about your data files.
If you are leaving him the applications, just delete the files that you have created whilst working.
If you are not leaving the apps. use control panel to uninstall the ones you are not leaving on the PC.
This leaves the OS intact and no access to your files.

sweetzombie 17:50 18 Feb 2006

How do i remove the indivisual profiles from Windows XP Hoem edition then?

VoG II 17:51 18 Feb 2006

Your easiest method is to reinstall Windows click here

Mr Mistoffelees 17:56 18 Feb 2006

Not only, as VoG™ has suggested, would reinstalling Windows be the easiest way to prepare the pc for your granddad, but it will also leave it in the best condition for him to start using it.

sweetzombie 15:58 19 Feb 2006

Well i have two problems now...

One, my computer will only let me do system restore to a couple of months ago which isnt very helpful as ive had the computer several years. Does anyone know how to get past this?

Two, I never uploaded Windows XP myself it came ready installed on the computer is there anyway to do it without a disc?

Mr Mistoffelees 16:13 19 Feb 2006

One, the is no way past this as older restore points will have been replaced by new ones.

Two, there is no way you will be able to reinstall Windows with no disk.

sweetzombie 16:15 19 Feb 2006

Can i use the disk i got for my laptop...?

ventanas 16:20 19 Feb 2006

"Can i use the disk i got for my laptop...?" No you can't, the licence is for one machine only.. There must be a way of recovering the machine you want to give away. What discs did you get with it, and what make is it?

sweetzombie 16:23 19 Feb 2006

its an e-mahcines 370 and as i said it didnt come with any Windows XP discs as it was alreayd loaded on the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?