Hex to text software

iqs 18:06 27 Oct 2009

Hi,

I am familiar with using Binary and converting MAC Hex addresses to decimal then Binary,but can you help with converting a wireless encryption that is displayed in Hex(believe its Hex) to its alpha numeric equivalent please.
Cheers

mgmcc 18:27 27 Oct 2009

If you mean "WEP" WiFi encryption keys, 64-bit WEP uses a key of 5 ASCII or 10 Hex characters, 128-bit WEP uses 13 ASCII or 26 Hex characters, but there is no alphanumeric equivalent as such if a Hex key has been used.

woodchip 20:10 27 Oct 2009

Don't know if this is what you are on about. Quickview Plus lets you view in different format like Text DOS and windows etc

Just changed the view of my Boot.ini to Hex Click Link to view.

I think you can download Old versions of the above to use free From Google
[IMG]click here[/IMG]

iqs 21:43 27 Oct 2009

Hi mgmcc,Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping there was a way to translate the Hex characters like with the MAC hex,trying to help a friend who as lost/forgotten all his router and WPA passwords.

Hi woodchip,thanks for the reply.

Have emailed my friend with your recommendation,hopefully it will assist.But quoting the comments from mgmcc 'but there is no alphanumeric equivalent as such if a Hex key has been used'.
Will see what happens.

Thank you both for your help.

interzone55 21:56 27 Oct 2009

If he's forgotten his password it's probably easiest to do a hard factory reset.

There's usually a little hole in the back of the router somewhere, unfold a paperclip, pull the power, shove the paperclip in the hole until you feel pressure then connect the power, hold for 10 seconds or so until all the lights flash.

your router will then be set back to the default settings

iqs 09:17 28 Oct 2009

Hi alan14,thanks for the reply.

I suggested resetting the router when he first contacted me,it is the easiest and quickest way.

But he didn't like that idea????
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?