HELPmy work on pc and its starting in safe mode

Jade 14 G 10:28 23 Nov 2006

My job is is on my pc so l have lots of files and twice in the last week its started in safe mode, tlls me to use up and down keys to highlight a profile but there is only one profile highlighted so press enter and its ok.
Am worried as being disabled have to work on my computer and if l lost my files and pictures that go with thm l don't know what l would do.
Can anyone help

Jackcoms 10:42 23 Nov 2006

The first thing to do is to back up all your work NOW - if you haven't already.

Others may have a solution to your problem.

Jade 14 G 11:05 23 Nov 2006

Have not got a external drive to do it, is there any other way.

Jackcoms 11:10 23 Nov 2006

My preferred option is USB pen drives.

Also, floppy disks(!) or CDs - (although I've never used those).

Gongoozler 13:35 23 Nov 2006

Back up all your important files. If they are crucial, then make two copies. CD-R are fine. CD-RW are less reliable. Once you are certain that you have reliable copies you can start looking for the cause of the problem. The first thing to check is whether you can boot reliably to Safe Mode. If you can, then check on the startup items via Start - Run. Type in msconfig, and click OK. In the System configuration box, click on the Startup tab. Remove the tick from the boxes alongside the Startup items and restart the computer. If it still won't start up normally then suspect one of the drivers. The most common to give problems is the graphics driver. Download a new driver for the graphics card, uninstall the old one and install the new one.

Jade 14 G 14:32 23 Nov 2006

Thank you for your help, can l ask you after backing up, is the rest easy or would l be beter to get someone in. I say this as l do a lot on my pc but have never had to do this.
Also you talked about start up programs,l have been meaning to get help about this as l had to do something else and it came up l had 48 files start up files( don't think that was the word ) but l just did not know what to do.

VoG II 14:34 23 Nov 2006

Have a look at this click here

Jade 14 G 15:37 23 Nov 2006

Thank you so much and it rings a bell as l thought l was getting short of memory , do you know of the best place to get memory online and is it easy to put in, last time l had someone come out but charged £45 for five minutes work and now they have gone under. Its a pity itdoesn't take digital camera memory as have 2 gb
Jade

VoG II 15:48 23 Nov 2006

Try the Crucial Memory Advisor™ Tool click here they are very reliable.

It is very easy to add memory.

Gongoozler 16:57 23 Nov 2006

My backup policy is to copy all the important saved files straight to CD, not using any backup utility. That way I can read them directly from the CD for future reference. I don't back up the programs, I find it just as easy to do a clean install straight from the program disks on the rare occasions that Windows gets irreparably corrupted. To make this easier I store all the data files on a separate partition and then reformat the C drive if I need to restore it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:45 23 Nov 2006

How to Add Memory click here

Why do you want memory? are you sure its your memory causing the problem?

Adding a second hard drive and using Acronis to copy the first drive to the new one will, save everything and allow you to have the PC running again within a few minutes ifthe main drive does fail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?