Help with XP Remote Desktop Setup

webber_man 11:42 09 Dec 2005

I am trying to test XP Remote Desktop on my home nextwork to make sure it works but i'm having problems.

I'm running XP Pro on a laptop that connects to the internet through a Netgear wireless router via my desktop running XP Home. It will be my laptop that i will want to connect to when away from home.

I have followed the instructions given here click here
and here click here
but no joy when trying to access the lasptop via my desktop.

I can connect to the intnet with my laptop ok and can share files with the desktop etc. but when trying to use Remote Desktop i get errors saying the remote computer is not available etc.

What have i missed out? I'm sure it may only be a small tweak here or there. Well.... i hope!

Thanks for any advice.

webber_man 13:48 09 Dec 2005

Sussed it.

Because of the wireless router and the fact i connect to the internet on my laptop though the connection on my desktop i had to use the IP address i assigned to my laptop - which was 192.168.0.3 to gain access and use Remote Desktop.

It all works great.

However, can anyone please explain what information/IP address i will need to use when trying to connect from a completely unattached PC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires