Help! XP Installation problem.

Severn Bore 20:39 28 May 2004

I have spent about 5 hours trying to install XP Home on a new HDD on my PC in addition to keeping Win 98 on my original "C" HDD. I selected the option to choose the hard drive / partition on which to install it. All goes as expected until the installation files are copied (presumably) to the chosen partition on the new drive. However, when the PC reboots as part of the process, setup stalls and I get a message that a file is missing or corrupt Windows Root>\ System31\hal.dll and it should be reinstalled.
I have seen the hal.dll file in the list of files being transferred, so it should exist! I have no idea how to access the file on the XP CDrom, or where to place it on the PC.
One other observation is that although my new HDD is correctly partioned and formatted (FAT32 so that I can share files) it disappears from the My Computer folder, although they were all shown before the reboot referred to above.

mosfet 22:13 28 May 2004

Would it help to run "System file check"

Legolas 22:21 28 May 2004

Try going into the BIOS and checking that the new HDD is being recognized.

Severn Bore 20:39 29 May 2004

I have fo8und a workaround which bypasses the original problem, but now find the XP installation stalls when it gets to registering settings

inneedofhelp 20:55 29 May 2004

in the cmos, try to disable the usb lagacy support.

Severn Bore 21:39 29 May 2004

Hi
Will give it a try as my PC is fairly old (but up to the challenge of running XP!)
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?