Help with Wireless Braodband

freddy99 15:11 28 Sep 2004

Here's your chance to help a Techno Thickie.

Am looking to set up a netgear system on the family computers and am not sure if I have identified the correct compatable items. Is there anybody that can help?

Option 1
Router DG834g with a laptop adapter (WG511), pc adapter (WG311) and a USB 2 adapter (WG111). These seem to be 54 Mbps 802.11g but I have also come across..

Option 2
a WGT624 with a laptop adapter (WG511T), pc adapter (WG311T). These seem to be 100-108 Mbps 802.11g+.

Are the above options right for my home system, I assume the 624 is merely the faster option. I think the USB 2 adapter (WG111) is only intended for the DG834, but will it operate on the faster system?

Thanks to anybody that can help.

Noelg23 15:15 28 Sep 2004

well Im not really a wireless techie...but have you been to click here and check out there? they give info on how to setup connections and whats best for the setup you want...but I would wait for someone who has had the same experience...

hillybilly 15:41 28 Sep 2004

Option 2 is just a bit faster but if your using the system to access the internet at best your internet speed will only be 2MB?

Iv'e been running most of option 1 on two seprate systems for six months with no problems.

ackers1973 19:23 28 Sep 2004

at present i am using a dlink with a rj45 cable linking to a belkin access point and it seems to work fine.
be cautious of hackers
you will need to set mac address filtering
and wep
but dont fret its very easy (even i can manage it) as it is all web based.
rgds
mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?