help wired router / wireless router??

  alisexis 15:28 28 Jul 2007

I have just moved into a flat and there is already a bt broadband connection there. How can I access my friends connection?
Currently he has a speedtouch hardwired modem. He no longer has his letter with isp / username and password and bt are hopeless when you call them..
someone sugested a hardwired ethernet connection??(no idea) My friend does not like wireless routers so how can we both be connected and online at the same time in two different bedrooms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I spent a lot of time online and on my laptop..



  brundle 16:38 28 Jul 2007

You need a wired ADSL router and long (10m+) RJ45 cable.
Your friend will need a network card in his machine if it doesn't already have one as the USB connection won't work with a router.
I like Netgear kit myself but there are plenty to choose from; click here

Don't go to PCWorld etc for cables; click here
You want a `patch` cable from the above link, not a crossover.

It is also possible to use Internet Connection Sharing from your friend's PC which won't involve a router but your friend may object to having two cables hanging from the PC (one for incoming internet, one for sharing the connection with your machine) click here

A call to BT with the relevant personal details will enable your friend to find out the password.
At a pinch, running this click here and looking under `Secrets` may reveal it

  brundle 17:01 28 Jul 2007

If you use Internet Connection sharing, you /will/ need a crossover cable

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?