HELP!!! with WinXP Boot Up

23790954 19:03 16 Nov 2007

For several years I have been maintaining and servicing my daughter-in-laws computer very successfully. She uses it in her Unisex hair salon, for keeping appointments and records etc.
For the first time I have come across a situation, which I cannot repair, and would like as much help as possible from any computer technicians. When one of her staff was putting in an appointment today, the computer appeared to freeze, so she restarted it. Instead of booting up normally, it stopped during POST and stated that there was a fault with the drive.
I have attempted to rectify the fault using the Samsung Disc Manager floppy disk, being a Samsung hard drive,and even attempted to reinstall windows XP without formatting, as we are trying to keep the data which is on the drive. Now when I attempt to boot up the system, the following message is diplayed on the monitor at post, "Load Needed DLLs for KERNEL" contact your dealer.
Does anyone know of any software that I can download, to assist with this problem, or what the problem is, or how I can install DLL,s on a hard drive which will not boot up.
I have a hard drive to fall back on, which was kept as a back up, but as back ups are made every Saturday, we will lose 1 weeks data if this fault cannot be overcome.
Many thanks to all who take the time to offer advice.

woodchip 19:07 16 Nov 2007

Sounds like a Damaged or Corrupt Drive. Me I would buy and fit a new Drive and load Windows on that then fit the old drive as a Slave to get at the Files on it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:58 16 Nov 2007

The Hal.dll and Ntoskrnl.exe files are mismatched.

CAn you boot to a command prompt or safe mode?

23790954 23:47 16 Nov 2007

Thanks for your help, both Fruit Bat and Woodchip. First of all I tried your suggestion woodchip, but as both hard drives being used are SATA11's all they do after booting with the good one, is conflict, and the mouse stops responding.
I have to restart the system to make the mouse respond again.
Fruit Bat I cannot get the system to run in safe mode, as it recognises the fault during boot up.
I even tried to reinstall the operating system, without formatting, but at the point of reinstalling, it states that NO hard drive can be traced on the system. When I use the faulty hard drive as a slave, booting from a good hard drive for the same system, then BOTH hard drives are recognised on the good hard drive, the slave is shown as drive E, but trying to transfer data between the two, using either Acronis True Image
or Nero back up, only causes confliction and the mouse ceases to respond.
Many thanks to both of you, and should you have any further suggestions I would be very pleased to hear them. CHEERS

woodchip 14:09 17 Nov 2007

Put the Drive in a Sata Caddy, and plug it into a USB port

woodchip 14:13 17 Nov 2007

PS if you are trying to get at files on your computer with sata drives, and the drive you need to get at is a IDE then you need a IDE caddy. And the drive as to be set to Master click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:16 17 Nov 2007

I even tried to reinstall the operating system, without formatting,

This is the way to go a repair install.
Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

*** at the point of reinstalling, it states that NO hard drive can be traced on the system.

You need to load the SATA drivers from a floppy at the F6 prompt during the Start of the repair install. *****

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

23790954 22:34 17 Nov 2007

Many thanks to all who gave me advice, it certainly was helpful, and after staying up until 1.30am this morning I finally saved the files from the faulty hard drive. After transferring the files and folders to a new hard drive, I have tried to format the faulty hard drive, using a Samsung Disk Manager. Although the hard drive was faulty, it was still recognised by the system, but would not boot up, but when I attempted to format it with disk manager, at the point of format, the software stated that NO hard drive was recognised by the disk manager. It was a Samsung disk and Samsung disk manager. Does this mean that the hard drive is U.S. or is there someway I can make it operable again. I was going to throw it out, but as a silver surfer, I am unsure if it is possible for me to make it work again.
Many many thanks to all who have helped me.

woodchip 22:40 17 Nov 2007

I have just thrown a Seagate 200Gb drive with same problem. It's the boot sectore that's damaged on the disc. When this goes you cannot do anything with the drive

23790954 22:41 17 Nov 2007

Many thanks for all your help woodchip.

woodchip 22:46 17 Nov 2007

At least you got the files back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017