help with windows XP

rider655 17:17 18 Jun 2004

I am having problems with my computer for no reason it freezes up and I can;t get it to do a thing so I have to manually shut it off...I have run avg to see if there is a virus but does not have one...I am getting fustrated with this and I have had this brand new computer for only 4 months also when I am playing a game on pogo the screen sorta jumps about like the monitor is about to go out...which the new one did but this is another monitor...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:34 18 Jun 2004

In the run box type sfc/scannow have the xp cd in the drive, any corrupted windows files should be found and replaced.

Make sure you download and install the latest drivers for your equipment.

clearout all your temp files freeprogs for this click here

/\0/\

rider655 23:18 18 Jun 2004

That would be nice BUT unfortunately I didn't revieve a XP disk with this new computer...so I am back to square one

rickf 23:29 18 Jun 2004

Your recovery disc should contain all the files necessary for what you need to do.

rider655 23:42 18 Jun 2004

I may be doing something wrong...put in recovery disk and it rellay does no good...the disk I have is recover XP...not sure if it is the right one or not but will keep playing with it

bretsky 23:52 18 Jun 2004

Go to start>control panel>administrative tools> event viewer and that should give you some clues as to what is going on.

Look at the system errors log & app log and click on the link for a fuller explanation, if you don't understand, make a note and post it here!

bretsky ;0)

hugh-265156 00:00 19 Jun 2004

you dont need to insert a windows cdrom with sfc /scannow if yours came pre installed. windows will recover any damaged or missing files it needs from the i386 folder.

is windows all up to date? click here

what graphics card and motherboard chipset do you have? maybe updating drivers for these may help.

pogo games uses java. click here and get the latest version. sometimes clearing your cache is suggested by pogo as you may be using an old version of a game on the site due to it being cached. clearing this will force windows to download it again.

also have a look in start/control panel/administrative tools/event viewer and click the system and application tabs to look for errors. click them for more info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?