Help windows root

Tooley88 21:35 27 Oct 2008

Hi all,
Can anyone help, I started my computer Advent T9002 it then went down with message, invalid file windows root>\system32\lal.dll. i tried to restart a couple of times, with same message so I ran non distructive restore (CD issued with computer) which ran through OK with message restart which I did but on reboot message came NTLDR is compressed, each time I try it only gets to same message. I didn't want to do a complete restore. Note I insalled 2 new memory sticks a couple of days ago but PC has been working OK up till now. Any idea's.

Regards, Pete.

mocha 00:15 28 Oct 2008

Hi Tooley88,

You need to boot to the Recovery Console, for info on how to do that click here When you are at command prompt type.

cd \
attrib -c ntldr
exit

Your computer should now restart ok.

Tooley88 09:27 28 Oct 2008

thanks mocha,

I don't have a windows disk, only the recovery disk that came with the PC, will it work with this.

Could it have been the replacement memory ?

Regards, Pete.

Tooley88 10:16 28 Oct 2008

Hi again Mocha,

Just tried your idea, but could not type in the instructions, on boot up the advent welcome screen shows then PCI service listing comes up, under the listing it says ntldr is compressed, press CTL+alt+del which when you do it just comes back to the same screen, so just going round & round.

Regards, Pete.

mocha 00:42 29 Oct 2008

Hi Tooley88,

You will need an XP Disk in order to use the Recovery Console, unless it is pre installed on your system in which case it would come up as a menu whenever you booted your system. BartPE is another tool which would be able to get you to a DOS prompt but you would still need an XP disk to compile this. Can you borrow an XP disk, it would have to be the same type as what is on your computer. Home or Professional.

It could be a memory problem, this can be checked out with a free program click here you would need to download the windows iso image and burn it to a cd using a program such as nero or a freebie such as imgburn click here

mocha 00:52 29 Oct 2008

Hi Tooley88,

I have not used a recovery disk, when you start this disk does it give you any options, if so can you mail back with the options it gives.

Mocha.

Tooley88 21:02 29 Oct 2008

Hi Mocha,
Thanks for all the help & time taken, but because I need my PC I have decided to do a restore with format, it has started but now to reinstall my programs.

Thanks again, Pete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?