Help with windows recovery.

Daxsimus 17:14 13 Apr 2009

Hi all I have sold my comp to a friend so wanted to do an clean re-install of windows. I have a recovery disc so i booted comp to disc. It has now been over 36 hours since it has been istalling windows again. I don't think is should ever take this long. What could have gone wrong and what can I do to recover it now? any help greatly welcome Dax

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:38 13 Apr 2009

Shut it down

clean the recovery discs and the drive and restart the recovery process.

Daxsimus 18:24 13 Apr 2009

I'll try that and let you know whats happens.

Daxsimus 19:43 13 Apr 2009

Hi, tried it but keeps sticking. says 32 minutes to go but never gets any further. Can I abort? And return without re-installing?

Daxsimus 21:28 13 Apr 2009

Please guys anymore ideas?

lotvic 23:29 13 Apr 2009

Unplug all the usb 'extras', printers and any cards etc you have added. The hardware needs to be as it was when you first got it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:37 13 Apr 2009
  woodchip 23:39 13 Apr 2009

as above turn off any hardware thats not needed, plus if you updated any hardware the recovery disc will stick, as it will be looking for old hardware to load files for. like graphics card changes etc

PS it will mean you fitting old hardware until you get Windows back loaded and running

Daxsimus 10:36 15 Apr 2009

Hi finally got it done I found this on the web and worked for me so I thought I'd post it here in case anybody else had the same problem as me.
Anyway guys thanks for all the help I can sleep a little easier now! LOL
How Do I Do a "Repair Installation"?

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

(You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and run WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

lotvic 20:25 15 Apr 2009

Glad you got it sorted but our advice was aimed at you using a 'recovery disc'

Guess you found an XP CD to do a repair, unless it was one of the options on your 'recovery disc'

Thanks for letting us know it is fixed :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?