Help with windows and photo problem please

Never again 06:51 15 Dec 2005

My friend (Ian) has been having problems with his pc crashing and it will not open his most of photos which are stored in folders on his c drive. He is desperate to save them.

He has a hp pavilion a708a running windows xp sp2 from a d partition on his hard drive and has not got any other cd's, and he has brought it into work to disrupt my routine:-))

I am using it at the moment to post this thread on the internet and have had to create a seperate dial up connection as he usually connects to bt yahoo broadband.

The pc initially would not open any internet explorer windows but I ran a fix on that - now it just takes ages to open a ie window.

I have run a sfc /scannow but this does not appear to have done anything.

He was allegedly running mcafee security centre but on boot up it displays a related error message asking for it to be reinstalled.

I have installed and updated AVG anti virus and a couple have been found, but it will not complete a full scan without freezing.

The same with A-squared. Spybot Search and Destroy finds no problems.

None of his windows critical and security updates had been done but I have since done all 34 of them.

He initially had kazaa installed but I have used kazaabegone.

His photos are recognised as jpegs but will not display property summaries. Windows picture veiwer will not display a preview and they will not copy to cd.

Any help would be appreciated folks.

Thanking you in advance.

Sharpamatt 07:25 15 Dec 2005

Looking at this seems to me a mess, by ignoring basic maintance, now seems to require major correction. The mension of Kazaa indicates downloads this is well documented as a scource of infection.both trojens and spyware

Its presumed the windows firewall was disabled, with running Mcfee? running any two programs can be a cause of conflict.

Any infection in the system will also be mirrored in the system restore files, which may not be picked by with a normal scan.

If restore to factory settings is available, this in many systomes only deletes information on the C partition. however the risk of loseing everything is still there.

I would suggest that repeated scans with all available virus and spyware removers. ( with system restore turned off ) backup to CD you state you cannot do so transfer files you want to D Partion

Also run a registary checker. ( these programs have been well documented in the forums )

You could also try to repair OS, and reinstall all other programs where possable.You could also try ChDisk, defrag and disc cleanup ( all in windows )More than one check for updates will be required in both windows, and AVG

rmcqua 08:28 15 Dec 2005

Try copying one of the files to another location, renaming it with its full .jpg extension, and then try to open it. A long shot, but I have had this work with .jpg files that have otherwise resisted opening.

jack 08:41 15 Dec 2005

It is possible that with all this chicanery going on the 'JPEGS' are not images but links to the images elsewhere- now long gone.

Apart from all the housekeeping mentioned above you cold try an image recovery program -just to see what happens you understand- I reccommend something like
PC Inspector Smart recovery - on PCA cover discs from time to time and internet - click here

Never again 08:42 16 Dec 2005

I am out of the office for a while but trying to keeps tabs on this thread.

I don't think that the photos are links as he has organised his folders quite well and he has a couple of hundred photos by the look of it!!

I'll investigate further and let you know, as he may have uninstalled the original image/ camera software where they may have been stored if you are right.

I'll have a go at renaming later and let you know how it goes.

I've used pc inspector smart recovery before and it worked ok, but with all his windows problems I don't know what to do first - repair windows or try to save the photos which may need a good working version of windows for me to attempt it.

Thanks again for your suggestions - I'm back in the office for an hour or 2 later so I'll try and give it a go.

Never again 08:54 19 Dec 2005

I've just had a go at renaming and it tells me that access is denied.

I have also tried to open the photos with paint instead of windows picture veiwer but is tells me again that access is denied.

The pictures are saved to a folder on the c drive and do not appear to be links.

I am still running windows updates and virus scans and will get back later.

I am also going to install and run ccleaner before I try pc inspector smart recovery.

Windows is still not behaving properley and when I select internet explorer it takes a good minute or two to open a new window. also some of the shortcuts on the quick launch toolbar are not showing the correct icons (they are showing the the unassociated thing).

Thanks again.

Totally-braindead 09:03 19 Dec 2005

Try going to control panel, folder options, file types and specify which program you want to use to open the JPEGs, I would suggest you set it to open with Windows Picture and Fax viewer but if that doesn't work try another graphics program or even try downloading Picassa which is a free Google made program and set the association for it to open the files.

Skyver 09:09 19 Dec 2005

What filesystem is the C drive, FAT32 or NTFS?
I'm using Pro at the moment so the following steps may be different, but if it's NTFS, go into Control Panel/Folder Options, disable Simple File Sharing, right click the folders containing the pics and access/check Permissions, you may need to `take ownership` of the files. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:33 19 Dec 2005

tells me again that access is denied.

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.

To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.

Never again 10:53 19 Dec 2005

The default application for opening jpegs is already windows picture and fax viewer. Some photos which I can save are displayed as thumbnails and will open but the vast majority which he has put into folders will not.

The file system of the c drive is NTFS but the HP Recovery (D) drive is FAT32.

I can't see the ownership bits above and I am running windows XP home - which might explain it.

I have now run ccleaner which deleted some stuff and sucessfully run a squared which found some malware and deleted it.

Windows quick launch shortcuts still don't work and I still have the same problem opening an internet explorer window.

Never again 14:06 19 Dec 2005

I just noticed that when I try to copy one of the photos to another location to rename it I get the error message that

"Error copying file or folder.

Cannot copy(file name). access is denied.

Maje sure that thie disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?