Help - Windows meltdown

tadpole1 15:15 02 Jun 2008

I logged onto my Acer Vista laptop this morning and it froze for several minutes on black screen before finally logging in. I got an error message saying "cannot connect to System Event Notification" and Acer Empowering Technology Framework Launcher also stopped working. I can't connect to the Internet and I can't turn on Windows Firewall. The following error messages were in the Problem reporting screen all stating service hang report: dhcp, net driver hpz12, sens, service. I've tried system restore and it failed so I'm not sure what else to try as I can't work out where the problem is.

tobyb121 15:23 02 Jun 2008

Try putting in your vista disk, and booting into it, and select repair, then try repairing windows, this should repair windows components, but may not fix other programs and they might need reinstalling.

tadpole1 16:27 02 Jun 2008

Acer don't provide disks. I think we are expected to use Acer eRecovery which I can't currently access.

brundle 16:30 02 Jun 2008

The problem report is only saying the PC can't find an IP address/DHCP server, not critical and probably unrelated. The last Acer I used had a mountain of extra software provided by Acer themselves that seemed to replicate Windows built-in features, can you disable any of it temporarily? Try restore in Safe Mode

rawprawn 16:41 02 Jun 2008

The last similar problem I had with an Acer was caused by it's own security software that loads automatically. Disabling it didn't work, & I had to uninstall it all in add/remove programs.
I think it was 3 or 4 of the Acer listed programs.
It was creating a conflict with Norton 2008
It may be worth a try uninstalling them if you have a restore point,so that you can get back if needs be.

tadpole1 18:29 02 Jun 2008

I removed eDataSecurity a few weeks ago because it was conflicting with Microsoft office. I am abit nervous about using restore points before removing more programs because that didn't work this morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?