Help Windows Defender keeps wanting 2 update!

Ankermi31 15:39 08 Dec 2006

Windows XP. IE7.

Got the message that Defender has a new update. Did the usual. It keeps informing me that I have not run it for different periods of time (it runs each day around 9ish!!). Definition tells me I have 1.14.1929 created 6.12.2006. Is this the latest version? If I try to exit the warning it tells me that my computer will not be protected.

Tried to uninstall Defender and it tells me "The Windows Installer could not be accessed." I am not running computer in safe mode. Installer is version 3.1.(KB893803)whatever that means!!

Help please.

Ankermi

VoG II 15:42 08 Dec 2006

Start, Run, type (or paste in)

Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}, and then click OK.

and click OK. Then start Defender, click the Help options arrow next to the Windows Defender Help icon, click About Windows Defender, and then click Check for Updates.

rawprawn 15:43 08 Dec 2006

click here download windows install clean up, run it and uninstall windows defender then download defender again and reinstall. I had the same problem last week.

Ankermi31 16:02 08 Dec 2006

Hi VoG
Carried out instructions to the letter! Been told no updates etc. However having closed W Def and then re-opened it it still saying there is a new version to download. Also the icon is in the bottom right which tells me the same obviously.

Have not d0one rawprawn's suggestion yet though have looked seems a bit of a maze to me which do you suggest I use?

rawprawn 16:16 08 Dec 2006

try doing what it says, download the new version. I think VoG™'s script will have solved the problem

Ankermi31 16:26 08 Dec 2006

Done so. Now getting the following up:
File Type: Unknown

Description: Windows does not recognize this file type.

The following Web sites have a comprehensive list of file extensions. You might be able to find information about this file type there:
FILExt

rawprawn 16:49 08 Dec 2006

In that case I would try my suggestion,using
windows install clean up download it,install, open it, and scroll down there may be 2 references to windows defender highlight them and click remove (one at a time). I would then reboot and then download a new windows defender set up and reinstall it.

rawprawn 16:51 08 Dec 2006

One other thing you could try before that is to go to the windows update site and update your computer, sometimes that may pick up the problem.

Ankermi31 09:04 09 Dec 2006

Morning rawprawn!!
Done everything you have said./ Updates are all uptodate so nothing to do there.
Hav done the other but it would not let me uninstal. On boot up today the icon has again appeared bottom right and it has not kicked in on its scheduled setting.

rawprawn 10:08 09 Dec 2006

Did you use Windows install Clean up? That should uninstall anything shown

Ankermi31 19:29 09 Dec 2006

OK just tried your link and I am getting up a HP site click here?

Is this correct< I cannot find Windows install Clean up!! Maybe I am being a bit slow here put it down to age!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017