Help, will i need a New Router????

julius44 08:58 13 Feb 2007

Hello, I currently have my broadband connection with Tiscali 1Mb 12.99, and i purchased a Linksys 4 port ADSL router, as i also share my connection with my playstation 2, as i play games online....as my 12 month contract is now up......i'm considering moving to virgin media...but as they are a cable company, their lines are DSL, but my router is ADSL.......my question is , if i move over to Virgin will I have to purchase a new router i.e. DSL............or will my Linksys Router still be compatible???

Taff™ 09:06 13 Feb 2007

New router I`m afraid.

julius44 16:54 13 Feb 2007

Hi there Taff, thanks for your response, can u suggest ANY specific routers or websites that i can check pls...also what kind of specs do i need to be looking at for a Cable DSL router?? thanks

Taff™ 06:48 14 Feb 2007

click here For gaming I would suggest you need the fastest speed you can afford.

stylehurst 11:25 14 Feb 2007

You don't say whether you are wired or wireless. I use cable via Telewest (now Virgin media) and have always used a Belkin Router, easy to set up, and has a lifetime guarantee.
Also noticed recently that Novatech do an own brand DSL router at about £20.
Having used Novatech products for more years than I care to remember this might be worth investigating.

Friday's Child 11:47 14 Feb 2007

I am with Virgin and have been for some time. I get my broadband through the BT line.
They are still accepting customers for this click here
Although they say that this is for if you are not in a cable area, since your line is already enabled, I should think that they would supply it this way if you prefer. You have nothing to lose by contacting them if you would rather stay on the BT line.

julius44 13:37 14 Feb 2007

Hello fridays child and thanks for the info......could u tell me what time of router u use pls, and whether it is ADSL or DSL. Also as i have a linksys 4 port ADSL router at present, if i DO decide to go over to virgin, will my ADSL router still b compatible...or will i have to change to a DSL router??

Dipso 13:51 14 Feb 2007

From the site -

"Depending on where you live, there are two ways to get Virgin Broadband:

By fibre optic cable (on cable)
Or down your phoneline (non-cable)"

If you choose cable you will need a to buy another router. If go for non-cable you can use your existing router.

HTH

Friday's Child 15:26 14 Feb 2007

I don't have my computer networked so I do not use a router.
As Dipso says if you go non-cable your existing router will work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?