Help web browsers been hijacked

richierich 13:16 07 Jul 2003

whatever i type in I get taken to a dodgy site.
Have run norton anti virus (up to date) but nothing found any help please

galatic door 13:23 07 Jul 2003

you could have a virus or some spyware in your computer

Download spybot i think it is called

regards

galatic door 13:23 07 Jul 2003
  richierich 14:02 07 Jul 2003

thanks Galactic, have run adaware but it didnt help, any other suggestions please

Q-Bie 14:06 07 Jul 2003

Download and install Spybot

click here

Do a scan with that, then go into the immunize option and it will protect your web browser from getting hijacked by sites changing the start page etc...

Hopefully you'll be ok after this.

-pops- 14:06 07 Jul 2003
  internetevil 14:40 07 Jul 2003

you have probably run some kind of dialer type program (not actual a virus so norton wont pick it up)
the first thing to do is reset internet explorer defaults. - in ie click tools internet opions programs and click on reset web settings
also you more then likley have a prog running on startup, use ms config to check what is loading on startup

click start run type in "msconfig" press enter go to the startup heading at the top

then you see a list of all the progs loading on startup you can untick the ones not to start, genarly quite obvious which ones they are but may need a hand if not sure! then click apply and restart the pc, it will tell you give you a message next time you restart the pc just tick dont show me this again. and click okay/ continue

and have another try
remember you can always retick things you unticked in msconfig again if things dont start up that were there before!

let us know if that helps.

richierich 15:00 07 Jul 2003

Thanks Q-Bie, Spybot did the trick, I better send them a donation.
Internetevil, idid try msconfig but it dont work on win 2000
but thanks everyone, this forum is brilliant

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?