HELP with video capture device:

23790954 18:18 18 Dec 2007

For some time I have been attempting to transfer VHS video to DVD via a number of software programmes. I am using a Hi speed USB 2 DVD creator, to transfer the data from the video, to the computer software. I have tried both Ulead 6 and Ulead 11, and I am now trying AVS media software for the transfer. I can transfer images of a very high quality, but when it comes to the sound, I am completely baffled. I started by using the soundcard of my gigabyte motherboard, then I turned this off in the bios, and installed a creative sound blaster sound card. I still cannot hear any sound when transferring the video to the p.c. Has anyone out there used a similar product, and can you enlighten me on how to get the sound working.
Thanks for any help given.

Technotiger 18:53 18 Dec 2007

Hi, have you tried connecting Line-out from the VCR to Line-in on the sound-card?

eedcam 18:55 18 Dec 2007

Apologies if this seems basic but how are you transfering from the tape deck to the the device you are also using an audio connection as well as the video leads.Also though you cant hear it during transfer is it actually on the pc when you playback

Technotiger 18:57 18 Dec 2007

Or on some VCR the Audio Out sockets rather than Line-out. And in addition to the above Line-out from Sound-card to the Phono socket which I think is part of the USB DVD creator cable(s).

23790954 21:41 18 Dec 2007

Many thanks for trying to help me eedcam and Technotiger. I have recorded several minutes of the video, and played it back, but alas there is no audio tracks from it. I have tried everything I know without success. A part of the instructions which I cannot understand, and I would be grateful if you could explain what it means is:
Connect the stereo mini-plug of the supplied audio adapter cable to the audio out jack on your sound card. (The next bit I fail to understand). Then connect a stereo audio cable between the audio adapter and the audio input jacks of your source device. The VHS video on which I am playing the video has only a scart socket in the back. Nothing else. The USB Hi-speed DVD creator device has a scart plug on the end, which I plug into the video. The other end of this cable device has the video cable which has a USB connector on the end, and fits into the system USB port. Also on this cable device which runs from the video, are TWO audio cables, both of which connect to an audio plug which plugs into the sound card. There are NO other connectors on this device.
I know it sounds a bit hard to understand, but if you come up with any suggestions it would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks to you both for taking the trouble.

Technotiger 21:56 18 Dec 2007

You need a scart adapter plug as in this photo, then plug this into one of the scarts on the VCR, you will then have Audio out sockets available.

[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

Technotiger 22:00 18 Dec 2007

PS - note that the adapter plug has Scart through-put, so you can still plug DVD Creator device into the VCR - you then connect Audio cable to the Phono sockets on top of Adapter.

23790954 22:04 18 Dec 2007

Many thanks for that Technotiger, your a handy person to know, as this is not the first time you have been so helpful. I will get such a scart plug tomorrow and fit it.
Once again, Many, many thanks.

Technotiger 22:11 18 Dec 2007

My pleasure - I use the same adapter on my system (VCR to PC etc).

23790954 17:13 21 Dec 2007

Having connected an audio cable as advised, I can still NOT get the sound to transfer onto my P.C. I can only presume at this stage, that I do not have the correct settings entered for the video. Can anyone enlighten me as to the settings which should be used for a normal british video. There are so many settings on Ulead, quite a lot of PAL settings as well as other formats. The video plays first class on the television, so it must either be wrong audio connections or wrong settings. Incidentally the sound card does work correctly for the computer. An idea of the required settings would be greatly appreciated. I did 'e' mail Ulead website helpline regarding this, but they informed me that they can only assist people with faulty equipment.
Thanks for any help given.

Technotiger 18:02 21 Dec 2007

Have you tried the switch on top of the Adapter plug in both positions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?