HELP! USB Keyboard/mouse probs code 10 error

Tricky Vicky 20:55 20 Jun 2006

I have been tring to install my scanner, with its USB lead, on my Packard Bell, Windows ME computer.

I think I did it the wrong way round and plugged it in before installing software. ooops

Anyway my keyboard and mouse - via USB leads also are now working (but a keyboard and mouse with a old style connector do).

When I go into control panel, system, device manager when I have the USB lead for keyboard/mouse in it is shown as there, but with a yellow exclamation mark next to it, it then says 'not recognised/working' etc etc (code 10), next to it.

I have tried re-installing drivers several times and also restarting and starting with plugged in and without but I cant get them to work. It does not seem to recognise them anymore at all.

Please help, Im a hopeless female with almost zero tech knowledge!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:57 20 Jun 2006

Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB
including root hubs etc.

Reboot the PC and reinstall the USB drivers.

Tricky Vicky 21:01 20 Jun 2006

Thanks for quick help but how do I re-install the USB drivers once re-booted, or will it do it its self. Also should I keep the other key board disconnected after re-boot, will it get confused with 2 keyboards attatched?

thanks
x

ade.h 21:12 20 Jun 2006

It will happen automatically. Fruitbat has given sound advice; remove everything under the USB section, reboot and sit back. But be prepared for the possibility that the problem might return.

Tricky Vicky 21:30 20 Jun 2006

Thank you very much for your help guys but its still nackard - it did re-install the USB gear but n no joy in recognising Keyboard - it still thinks its installed but that code 10 thing again.

Does any body know what else I can try of if I can take it some where, PC World or something?

Your help is much appreciated.

Tricky Vicky 21:40 20 Jun 2006

Please accept my sincer appologies.

Your advice was sound it has worked - I had only re-installed the drivers for the mouse and keyboard and not the USB stuff.

THANKS VERY MUCH - I think my Dad may be speaking to me now as I have manged to fix it!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:41 20 Jun 2006

Code 10

If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver click here (iConnect driver usbmousekbd_me.exe)

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.

ade.h 21:42 20 Jun 2006

Code 10s are difficult to resolve, because it means that there is insufficient resources to run the device. A bit like an IRQ address conflict. I had one Code 10 problem which was cured only by disabling some unnecessary hardware that was using the same resources, found with a bit of trial and error.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?