Help urgently needed please

Severn Bore 17:29 03 Jun 2009

Hi
My grandaughter is in the middle of exams and her laptop with all of her course work wont start.
It is a two years old HP that has worked like a dream until now. The last time it was used it shut down properly, but on trying to start it this evening it gives three loud beeps (the first slightly longer than the second and third) but nothing appears on the monitor. Linking to a seperate monitor has no effect and the laptop will not start in safe mode either.
I have always ensured she uses an up to date antivirus and firewall.
Any advice would be gratefully welcomed.

jimv7 17:35 03 Jun 2009

click here seems to suggest graphic card failure depending on what bios.

bobbybowls 17:45 03 Jun 2009

you can still get your data off the hard disk by removing it from the laptop and using either a usb cradle or usb to ide converter.

lotvic 17:49 03 Jun 2009

Before you do anything else..... Take out the harddrive connect it up to yours as a slave and copy (don't move) all the My Documents.

Make a new folder on your harddrive and call it something like
Daughters My Docs Copy
put your daughters My Documents folder into the new one

For example:
C:\My Documents\Daughters My DocsCopy\My Documents

Then if you want you can rightclick on it and rename it thus: Marys MyDocs

C:\My Documents\Daughters My DocsCopy\Marys MyDocs

Provided you have the same Office/Word programs installed she will be able to continue working on her exam work on your computer.

Severn Bore 21:17 03 Jun 2009

Many thanks for your very prompt advice. It is clearly the graphics driver that has failed and further research on the net revealed that HP had recognised a known fault with nvidia graphics cards in certain laptops. My grandaughters falls into that category so I have contacted HP and am awaiting their response.
If anything useful comes of this, I will report the results on the forum.
Kind regards to all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?