Help urgent. Pen drive "fried"

The Teacher 00:23 04 Feb 2007

My pen drive appears to be fried. It was fine on Friday but tonight I cannot it to show when I click "my computer".

Neither is there the green icon in the system tray that you have to click to close down USB devices.

I have tried restarting the PC but to no avail and I do have to do this again as I have installed, and then removed, some programmes new tonight.

However, if the installations are not the problem what could it be? I have looked in Device Manager and have no warning icons in there.

A solution is urgent as there is data on the drive that is required for Monday morning.

Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance.

BRYNIT 00:33 04 Feb 2007

Try the pen drive on another computer/friends computer. If you can open the pen drive get the files copied to a CD this will help untill you have sorted your computer. If no luck in another computer the pen drive may be dead and the files lost unless you have backed the up.

lotvic 00:34 04 Feb 2007

If the USB's at front of pc are not working, try using one at the back of pc.
one that you know is working i.e. unplug your printer and plug pen drive in there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:47 04 Feb 2007

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

The Teacher 19:24 07 Feb 2007

Thanks for the replies, I don't know what the problem was but after switching on again on Sunday everything was fine.

For some reason the icon that you use to close down USB devices was missing, then it reappeared.

Problem now solved but thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?