Help with an unknown program

thedarkknight16 14:25 15 May 2015

Hi all,

I recently noticed the program Winfilter in Programs and Features and I have no idea what it is. You can see the program in the screenshot below. I also included a screenshot of the pop up that appears when i attempt to uninstall the program. I've run countless Norton virus scans, i've used windows defender and malwarebytes and nothing has shown up and I cannot seem to remove this program or find any trace of the program other than in Program and Features. I've also used the regedit command to find the registry with no success.

Screenshot

My Specs: Sony Vaio (Bought in 2011) Windows 7 Home Premium Sp 1 4GB Ram Intel Core i5

I'm happy to supply any additional information.

Ian in Northampton 15:13 15 May 2015

Has someone been messing with your machine? See here.

bumpkin 15:49 15 May 2015

Revo might get rid of it if you run it in advanced mode click here

bumpkin 15:52 15 May 2015

Be sure to uncheck anything else which may be packaged in the download if you decide to try it.

rdave13 17:40 15 May 2015

I'd be careful with this as it seems to have been partially removed. Could also be a part of a Trojan. First post here. Just for example so don't follow advice as your problem might be different.

I would run Norton and Malwarebytes in safe mode to check PC is clean. If the error still shows in normal mode then running Ccleaner will get rid of orphaned .dll files.

bumpkin 17:55 15 May 2015

rdave, from this and some of your past postings you do not seem to like revo for some reason. Have you had problems with it? I am just asking out of interest.

rdave13 18:12 15 May 2015

bumpkin , yes, a few hiccups at times. With Microsoft programs and security programs. Revo can make a bit of a mess with the registry and cause difficulty when trying to reinstall the software. No idea what it can do if this Winfilter is a remnant of a Trojan.

bumpkin 19:08 15 May 2015

Thanks for the info, never had an issue with it myself but I understand your point so safe mode would be worth trying first.

alanrwood 20:15 15 May 2015

If you Google Winfilter you should find several entries describing what it is. How it managed to get on your machine I can't say. Have a look and see if the references seem to be what you are seeing.

rdave13 20:26 15 May 2015

thedarkknight16 seems to be a gamer according to the photobucket link I first saw. Maybe an infection from online gaming. I don't really know as Google isn't clear about what Winfilter is. You can download it, it's a Trojan, but it seems clear to be an undesirable program to have.

bumpkin 21:15 15 May 2015

" malwarebytes and nothing has shown up"

Is your malwarebytes up to date, it should have picked that up straight away, it is known malware (virus or trojan)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017