Help understanding virtualisation programs

dave__g 13:31 04 May 2014

I have two programs with will not run on my new PC Windows 8.1 64-bit. Lotus 1-2-3 doesn't like 64-bit and Dragon naturally speaking 11 is not supported in Windows 8.

I have Windows 8.1 pro which includes the virtualisation program Hyper- V. If I create a new virtual PC running Windows XP 32-bit and install Lotus and Dragon on that will I be able to use those programs when I am in Windows 8. For example will I be able to dictate into dragon NaturallySpeaking running on the virtual XP and have the result type in word running in Windows 8.1.

When I am working in Windows 8.1 can I cut and paste information from Lotus 123.

bumpkin 22:47 05 May 2014

Well that seems to have answered the OP's question.

Forum Editor 16:45 07 May 2014

Let's start again.

I have deleted all the dialogue about another person posting purported spam.

zenwindsurfer 22:50 07 May 2014

Hi,

From my recent experience you have two problems which I can relate from my recent experience with similar issues. I also have a new Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit system. I am running a virtual machine instance of the same (8.1 Pro) via Hyper-V on top of it. I have Dragon Naturally Speaking installed on the VM and have not been able to get DNS to recognize the microphone during the installation process. Note that the microphone does work in all MS apps (Skype and Recorder) ... as well as within Chrome running Google Voice. So the microphone works ... but DNS doesn't recognize it.

I say you have two problems because you are running a version of DNS that is incompatible with 8.1 Pro ... AND ... even if you upgrade ... or run DNS 11 on an XP VM ... it probably still won't work ... as it won't recognize the microphone.

I called DNS support and they are willing to work with me ... which I intend to pursue ... but they stated that DNS is "NOT" supported in virtual environments.

I've seen a number of posts that claim that people have got this to work in other hypervisors ... such as VMWare and the like ... but not in Hyper-V.

If you get this to work let me know ... we have similar end goals. As a side note QuickBooks doesn't run in 8.1 Pro VM's either ... and that is more of a headache than DNS.

Good Luck ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?