Help understanding tech advice

Thatslife 19:42 27 Mar 2009

I've a problem with an overheating GPU and XFX have responded to my problem by telling me....

".... the information on the case would suggest it should be ok, so if the fan on the card is ok, I would advise checking the mainboard BIOS for overclocking features, but if the board has a `safe` default setting, this would be a good start point. If not, setup `defaults`, but please check PCIe-bus is not overclocked and may be worth checking that the memory settings not too aggressive."

So, how do I check the BIOS for overclocking and what is a 'safe' default setting? How do I check the PCIe bus is not overclocked?

I haven't overclocked anything and I've had the PC from new but I better check.

Thanks

T

[email protected] 20:01 27 Mar 2009

Although not always the case, over heating can be the result of overclocking (tuning) This can be done by the user or the vendor from new!
BIOS default settings will restore the motherboard to it's factory "standard" settings. It is this to which you have been directed to check.
You don't say much about your OS or hardware? but to reset your BIOS to default settings you need to enter the BIOS setup during the boot precess and navigate to the RESET TO DEFAULT SETTINGS AND EXIT prompt.
There are other reasons for over heating.
A heatsink clogged with fluff and grunge is typical - or a cooling fan not operating properly - or mismatched components just to mention a few.
Remember though, if you bought your PC already overclocked, by restoring default settings you will lose performance! You really need to know from your supplier to what extent (and just what) was overclocked in the first place, if indeed this is the case.

Thatslife 21:37 27 Mar 2009

Sorry I should have listed my hardware

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
4 GB Ram
Vista

The GPU is GF 9800GT. I'll check the BIOS settings but I'm fairly confident nothing's overclocked.

gazzaho 06:25 28 Mar 2009

I would advise, if possible that you take pictures of every screen in your BIOS, with say a camera phone if you don't have a camera. That's what I did with my BIOS, if you do this then you can revert back to the settings you originally had if things don't work right, if you don't have a camera the write down all the setting, this could be time consuming but well worth it if you run into problems later.

When you enter the BIOS you won't change anything unless you hit Save and Quit so it's quite safe to look around without causing any problems, the thing with overclocking is that you can reduce you computer to an unbootable state if you unwittingly change the wrong setting. Modern BIOS are pretty good at setting things up but if settings were modified for any reason by the supplier of the computer then resetting to default may cause more problems than cure.

Thatslife 11:27 28 Mar 2009

Thanks for the advice.

As I expected, nothing's overclocked. I'll try the card in a friends PC to see if the same problem is there. If so i will return.

Thanks

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache