Help trying to remove a virus

spras 11:26 06 Mar 2011

I am trying to remove a particularly stubborn virus from a friends computer. It completely takes over, changes the background, won't let me execute any programs. If I boot in to safe mode it stops running - so at least I can run virus scans from there, but I can't install anything in safe mode. The virus scanner that is on there (McAffee) doesn't find anything (I doubt it has been updated in a while) so I ran ClaimWinPOrtable off a USB key which confirmed an infection but doesn't come with an option to remove it. The virus seems to come from something called "ClickPotatoLite". I'm running another portable virus scanner now "Rizone Virus Cleaner" but it doesn't seem to be that good either. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get rid of this thing?

ashdav 11:38 06 Mar 2011

Try Hitman Pro click here and run in safe mode.

lotvic 11:39 06 Mar 2011

You need the free program Spybot - Search & Destroy download from publisher click here or download.cnet.com click here
Manual Removal Guide for Win32.ClickPotatoLite click here

ashdav 11:40 06 Mar 2011

Also Superantispyware click here
and Malwarebytes click here

birdface 13:07 06 Mar 2011

Try Internet Options.Connections. Lan settings.
And if proxy server is ticked untick it a few of the virus's hide in there.
And if you are quick you can update your security programs or maybe download others while you can as the virus will tick the The proxy server again.
Or will take it over without ticking the box.
Worth a look just to see.

birdface 13:18 06 Mar 2011

Accoring to this you have to remove all java programs completely.
So maybe do that then install the free version of malwarebytes update and run it.

click here

spras 17:41 06 Mar 2011

Virus gone thanks to these tips, cheers for the help

ashdav 00:51 07 Mar 2011

Which one worked? (for future reference).

Technocrate 12:03 09 Jun 2011

Hi,

Traditionally, like all other antivirus software, Norton also relied upon the virus signatures to detect any virus and remove it. Norton AntiVirus software is powered by Symantec AntiVirus Research Center (SARC). SARC has a team of experts to research and find any new threats. The SARC team is working round-the-clock to identify any new virus. When they detect a new virus, they first analyze it and then make a virus signature. That signature is provided in the central update server so that all Norton clients can get the new signature. Using the signatures, Norton AntiVirus is able to fight any new viruses. Norton also allows its users to upload any new variant of viruses or any suspicious files for analysis.get more help to virus removal hope this helps you.

birdface 12:31 09 Jun 2011

Technocrate

No use opening a new thread and posting a bad site on it.It gives a straight red From WOT so best not to use.

birdface 12:35 09 Jun 2011

Technocrate

What WOT says about your site.

link text

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?