HELP! Trying to link PC & XBOX360

Shelby'sMama 05:47 10 Aug 2006

I have my internet line going to my modem, then my modem to my router, then my PC and XBOX360 both connected to my router. My internet conection is fine on both (i.e. I can browse the internet on my PC, and can access XBOX Live from my XBOX360), but I cannot share files. When I try to use the setup wizard at xbox.com/pcsetup, it tells me that it cannot find the XBOX. When I open Windows Media Connect, in "Settings," "Folder Sharing," it says, "Folder Sharing is not started. Click here to configure folder sharing." When I click "Start," it says, "Folder sharing could not be started. For details, use Event Viewer in Windows to check the log of system events." When I open Event Viewer, under "System," the only entries with "Source" as WMConnectCDS or WindowsMedia are in reference to the installs and uninstalls. I uninstalled and reinstalled a few times because, when I first tried to open Windows Media Connect, it said that it could not be started, and "might not be properly installed." (which it is still saying occasionally) I also read that there was a problem with .NET framework, that 1.1 works with it and 2.0 doesn't, so I then tried uninstalling 2.0 (I had both installed), and it still wouldn't work. And, yes, I rebooted and power-cycled at all appropriate times. So, what now?

rodriguez 10:56 10 Aug 2006

You could try turning the firewall off in your router as well as any software ones you have e.g ZoneAlarm because it sounds as if something is blocking the file transfers. ZoneAlarm usually pops up when it detects a new network asking if you want to allow it into a trusted zone - basically if you want to share files and folders and other software firewalls may have a similar feature. If you don't allow it into the trusted zone, then it disables file and folder sharing. It seems as if all your cables are connected correctly because the 360 can access the internet for Xbox Live so I'm guessing it's a firewall problem.

Shelby'sMama 16:23 10 Aug 2006

I'm pretty sure the only firewall I have active is the windows firewall. How would I check that? My other security software is Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware SE, and Norton Anti-Virus, none of which have firewalls. Also, how would I turn off the firewall on my router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?